Polar coordinates from Google Maps

In summary, the given coordinates are already in polar coordinates, with the first value representing the angle east or west and the second value representing the angle north or south in degrees. No further conversion is needed.
tazthed
Hi.

I have a pair of latitude and longitude (55.730397,12.358181) from Google Maps. I would like to convert it to POLAR COORDINATES in two-dimensional coordinate system.

I am interested in the angle in the polar coordinates.

I can't find any formula for this convertion?

Thanks!

/Taz

Mathematics news on Phys.org
tazthed said:
Hi.

I have a pair of latitude and longitude (55.730397,12.358181) from Google Maps. I would like to convert it to POLAR COORDINATES in two-dimensional coordinate system.

I am interested in the angle in the polar coordinates.

I can't find any formula for this convertion?

Thanks!

/Taz
The lat. and long. coordinates already are angles, so what did you have in mind? Note that the units for both are degrees. The first coordinate (55.730397) is the angle west or east of the Greenwich Meridian. The second coordinate (12.358181) the angle north or south of the Equator.

Related to Polar coordinates from Google Maps

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points on a two-dimensional surface using a distance measure from a fixed point (the origin) and an angle measure from a fixed reference line. They are often used in mathematics and navigation to describe locations on a map or graph.

2. How does Google Maps use polar coordinates?

Google Maps uses polar coordinates to display locations on a map. The center of the map is considered the origin and the latitude and longitude lines act as the reference lines. The distance from the origin is represented by the latitude and the angle from the reference line is represented by the longitude.

3. Can I switch between polar and Cartesian coordinates on Google Maps?

No, Google Maps only uses polar coordinates to display locations. However, you can switch between different map projections, which may affect the way the polar coordinates are displayed.

4. How accurate are polar coordinates on Google Maps?

Google Maps uses a variety of methods to determine the location of a point, including GPS, cell tower triangulation, and user input. The accuracy of these methods can vary, but in general, polar coordinates on Google Maps are very accurate.

5. Is there a maximum or minimum value for polar coordinates on Google Maps?

There is no specific maximum or minimum value for polar coordinates on Google Maps. However, due to the nature of the Earth's surface, certain locations may not be able to be accurately represented using polar coordinates. Additionally, extreme distances from the origin may result in loss of accuracy.