Poisson MLE and Limiting Distribution

In summary, the maximum likelihood estimates for β1 and β2 are given by:β1 = ln(Σ[y - exp(β1 + β2xi)]/N)β2 = Σ[(y - exp(β1 + β2xi))xi]/Σ[xi^2].To derive the limiting distribution for these estimates, we can use the asymptotic properties of MLEs. By the central limit theorem, we know that the MLEs are asymptotically normal with mean equal to the true parameter values and covariance matrix given by the inverse of the Fisher information matrix. Therefore, the limiting distribution for the estimates can be approximated by a normal distribution with mean β1* and β2
mlarson9000

Homework Statement

Let yi denote the number of times individual i buys tobacco in a given month.
Suppose a random sample of N individuals is available, for which we observe values
0,1,2,... for yi.
Let xi be an observed characterisitc of these individuals (for example, gender). If we assume that for a given xi, yi has a Poisson distribution with mean
λi = exp ( β1 + β 2xi).
That is, the distribution function is:

Pr (yi = y |xi) =[exp(-λi)λi^y]/y! y = 0,1,2,...

(a) Obtain Bmle and derive its limiting distribution.
(b) Now suppose that yi does not take Poisson distribution. However, the orthogonality
condition holds:
E (yi - exp (β 1 + β 2xi) | xi) = 0:
Propose a consistent estimator for and derive its limiting distribution.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to approach this. Do I just plug exp(β1+β2xi) into λi, and derive the MLE, or am I supposed to do something else? When I tried it that way, I get

dL/dβ1=ny-Ʃexp(β1+β2xi)=0

dL/dβ2=yƩxi-Ʃxi[exp(β1+β2xi)]=0

And I'm not sure how to solve for β1 and β2 with this.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. To solve this problem, we can use the method of maximum likelihood estimation (MLE). This method is commonly used in statistics to estimate the parameters of a probability distribution based on a given set of data. In this case, we are trying to estimate the parameters β1 and β2 based on a given sample of individuals and their characteristics.

To obtain the MLE, we need to maximize the likelihood function L(β1, β2) with respect to the parameters β1 and β2. This function is defined as the product of the individual probability densities for each observation in the sample. In this case, the individual probability density is given by:

Pr(yi = y | xi) = [exp(λi - λi)λiy]/y!

Substituting the given expression for λi, we get:

Pr(yi = y | xi) = [exp(β1 + β2xi - exp(β1 + β2xi))exp(β1 + β2xi)y]/y!

Taking the logarithm of both sides, we get:

ln L(β1, β2) = Σ[β1 + β2xi - exp(β1 + β2xi) + yln(exp(β1 + β2xi)) - ln(y!)].

To maximize this function, we need to take the partial derivatives with respect to β1 and β2 and set them equal to 0. This will give us the maximum likelihood estimates for β1 and β2. Taking the partial derivative with respect to β1, we get:

∂ln L(β1, β2)/∂β1 = Σ[1 - exp(β1 + β2xi) + yexp(β1 + β2xi)] = 0.

Solving for β1, we get:

β1 = ln(Σ[y - exp(β1 + β2xi)]/N).

Similarly, taking the partial derivative with respect to β2, we get:

∂ln L(β1, β2)/∂β2 = Σ[xi - exp(β1 + β2xi) + yxiexp(β1 + β2xi)] = 0.

Solving for β2, we get:

β2 = Σ[(y - exp(β1 + β2xi))xi]/Σ[xi^

Related to Poisson MLE and Limiting Distribution

1. What is the Poisson MLE and how is it calculated?

The Poisson Maximum Likelihood Estimation (MLE) is a statistical method used to estimate the parameters of a Poisson distribution. It is calculated by finding the value of the parameter that maximizes the likelihood function.

2. What is a limiting distribution?

A limiting distribution is a probability distribution that represents the behavior of a sequence of random variables as the number of observations tends towards infinity. It is used to model the long-term behavior of a random process.

3. How is the limiting distribution of a Poisson MLE calculated?

The limiting distribution of a Poisson MLE can be calculated using the Central Limit Theorem, which states that as the sample size increases, the sampling distribution of the sample mean approaches a normal distribution. This means that the limiting distribution of a Poisson MLE is a normal distribution with mean equal to the MLE and variance equal to the inverse of the Fisher information.

4. What is the significance of the Poisson MLE and limiting distribution in statistical analysis?

The Poisson MLE and limiting distribution are important tools in statistical analysis as they allow us to estimate the parameters of a Poisson distribution and understand the long-term behavior of a random process. They are commonly used in fields such as epidemiology, finance, and engineering to model and analyze count data.

5. What are the assumptions for using Poisson MLE and limiting distribution?

The assumptions for using Poisson MLE and limiting distribution include:

• The data follows a Poisson distribution.
  • The observations are independent.
  • The sample size is sufficiently large.
  • The parameter of interest is the mean of the Poisson distribution.