Point charge inside solid sphere

In summary, the electron will move around and the other charges involved will move in response. It's a pretty chaotic situation with no real stable equilibrium, like balancing a pencil on it's point.
leonidas24
I'm curious. Say you have a solid, positively charged sphere with a uniform charge distribution. Now suppose you place a single, negatively charged electron inside the solid sphere. How will the electron behave? I assume the electrostatic forces exerted on the electron will ultimately tend it towards the center, where it will reach a sort of equilibrium and remain there motionless?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sort of.

In fact, you couldn't place it so carefully that it wouldn't have some residual momentum.
It would move around, and the other charges involved would move in response. It's a pretty chaotic situation with no real stable equilibrium, like balancing a pencil on it's point.

Inevitably it would come into close proximity with one of the other charges and they would neutralise one another.

the electric field inside a uniformly charged sphere is exactly zero. this was first proven by Newton for gravitational forces.

Dickfore said:
the electric field inside a uniformly charged sphere is exactly zero. this was first proven by Newton for gravitational forces.

As long as you don't disturb the status quo by trying to stick a charge in the middle.

Of course, it returns to zero after the intruder has been dealt with.

He didn't say the sphere was conductive, so I assumed that the charges are rigidly stuck on the sphere.

Dickfore said:
He didn't say the sphere was conductive, so I assumed that the charges are rigidly stuck on the sphere.

Hmmm... theoretically yes, but is that physically possible do you think?

This problem is theoretical. Also, if it was a conductor, then there is the Thompson's theorem that a point charge can never be found in a state of stable equilibrium in an electrostatic field.

leonidas24 said:
I'm curious. Say you have a solid, positively charged sphere with a uniform charge distribution. Now suppose you place a single, negatively charged electron inside the solid sphere. How will the electron behave? I assume the electrostatic forces exerted on the electron will ultimately tend it towards the center, where it will reach a sort of equilibrium and remain there motionless?

You didn't mention the approximations you want to assume. In classical electromagnetism, neglecting the electron's field, inside the sphere you have field directed radially with amplitude proportional to the distance from the center. So it's like the electron is linked to the center with an ideal spring. The resulting motion is an ellipse. In time the electron will lose energy and spiral down the center.

Dickfore said:

It's true only if the sphere is a conductor. But if the sphere is an insulator, then you can easily prove (by Gauss law) that the electric field inside the sphere is proportional to the r, the distance from the center (r<R radius of the sphere). Hence, exactly in the center of the sphere, the electric field is zero and because the electron is point charge we can assume that it will remain in the center in equilibrium.

Ok, ok, I thought "sphere" means a spherical shell, not a uniformly charged ball.

If it is a uniformly charged spherical shell, then the electric field inside is zero.

If it is a uniformly charged ball, then the electric field inside is radial and the magnitude is proportional to the distance from the center, reaching its maximum value:

[tex]
E = k_{0} \, \frac{Q}{R^{3}}
[/tex]

on the surface of the ball [itex]r = R[/itex].

This problem is quite similar to one that I've published on. However, I would never assume that any three-dimensional system consisting of more than 4 point charges is "uniform". (What is meant by "uniform"?!)

In this case, perhaps we are talking about the original Thomson problem (or, perhaps the jellium model that many today love and adore) in which Thomson assumes that the atom consists of negatively charged electrons (corpuscles) in a "uniform" positively charged volume. But, with our knowledge of atomic structure today, having particulate structure, what does "uniform" mean? With five point charges, one can never place all of them in a three-dimensional volume such that they are all equidistant from each other. At best, you could find a configuration in which they may all have the same electrostatic energy.

..basically, my argument is that this question is physically impossible, not so much because of so-called 'quantum-fluctuations' that prevent a negative point charge charge from actually finding, and residing at, the origin of the sphere, but because there is no such as a perfectly "uniform" volume of charge. ...those charges are particles.

Now, if we are discussing "an approximation to uniformity", then the greater the number of charges there is in the positive sphere, the better that approximation. Then, we might as well consider a metallic system because all the spatial symmetry properties of the "uniformity" must be "washed out".

While this may seem like a trivial point to make, I assure you that it makes a world of difference in the final analysis. Of course, if you're looking for a statistical-natured argument (e.g. quantum or density functional), then by all means, this is a trivial point. But if you're looking for a true electrostatic solution, then this point is of utmost importance.

Just some thoughts.

===8<-----------------

Related to Point charge inside solid sphere

1. What is a point charge inside a solid sphere?

A point charge inside a solid sphere refers to a hypothetical situation in which a very small, positively or negatively charged particle is placed at the center of a solid sphere that has a uniform distribution of charge. This situation is often used in physics and engineering to model the behavior of charged particles in materials.

2. How does the charge of the point charge affect the electric field inside the solid sphere?

The charge of the point charge affects the electric field inside the solid sphere in a linear manner. This means that as the charge of the point charge increases, the electric field also increases in strength. Conversely, if the charge of the point charge decreases, the electric field also decreases.

3. Does the presence of a point charge inside a solid sphere affect the electric field outside the sphere?

Yes, the presence of a point charge inside a solid sphere does affect the electric field outside the sphere. This effect is dependent on the charge and location of the point charge, as well as the size and charge distribution of the solid sphere.

4. Can a point charge be placed at any location inside the solid sphere?

Yes, a point charge can be placed at any location inside the solid sphere. However, the electric field at that location will depend on the charge distribution of the solid sphere and the distance of the point charge from the center of the sphere.

5. How is the electric potential of a point charge inside a solid sphere calculated?

The electric potential of a point charge inside a solid sphere can be calculated using the following formula: V = kQ/R, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the point charge, and R is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point charge. This formula is derived from the definition of electric potential as the amount of work needed to bring a unit charge from infinity to a certain point in the electric field.