Point between earth and moon where net gravitational force is zero

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the total gravitational potential energy of a particle between the Earth and the moon, as well as the distance at which the net gravitational force is zero. The correct expression for potential energy is U= -GmEm/r - GmMm/(REM-r) and the distance at which the force is zero can be found by setting this expression equal to zero and solving for the distance from the center of the Earth.
tv2le
A) If the moon of mass mM has radius RM and the distance between the centers of the Earth and the moon is REM, find the total gravitational potential energy of the particle-earth and particle-moon systems when a particle with mass m is between the Earth and the moon, and a distance r from the center of the earth. Take the gravitational potential energy to be zero when the objects are far from each other. Take the mass of Earth as mE.

B)There is a point along a line between the Earth and the moon where the net gravitational force is zero. Use the expression derived in part (a) to find the distance of this point from the center of the Earth in meters.

The attempt at a solution: In Part A, I was able to find that U= -GmEm/r - GmMm/(REM-r)
For Part B, do I just set the equation for potential energy equal to 0? I tried that, and got stuck, because I end up with 2 unknown variables (distance from Earth and distance from moon), so what would the second equation be to help solve for both of these variables?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aren't the distance from the Earth and the distance from the moon related? That is, isn't their sum constant?

I ended up with r = ((mE/mM)*REM)/(1-(mE/mM)) Is that right?

No, it's not.

You did (at least) two things wrong here.
1. You have the wrong expression for potential energy. Your expression is correct for points between the Earth and Moon, but not for points beyond.

2. You (apparently) solved for the point where energy is equal to zero. You are supposed to find where the force is zero.

I think I got it. Thank you.

Related to Point between earth and moon where net gravitational force is zero

1. What is the point between earth and moon where the net gravitational force is zero?

The point between earth and moon where the net gravitational force is zero is called the Lagrange point or the L1 point. It is located approximately 326,000 kilometers from earth towards the moon.

2. How is the net gravitational force zero at the Lagrange point?

The net gravitational force is zero at the Lagrange point because the gravitational pull of the earth and the moon cancel each other out, resulting in a state of equilibrium.

3. Can objects remain stationary at the Lagrange point?

Yes, objects can remain stationary at the Lagrange point as the gravitational pull from both the earth and the moon is equal, allowing them to maintain a consistent position.

4. Are there multiple Lagrange points between earth and moon?

Yes, there are a total of five Lagrange points between earth and moon. These are L1, L2, L3, L4, and L5. Each point has a specific distance and position relative to the earth and the moon.

5. What are the applications of the Lagrange points?

The Lagrange points have various applications in space exploration, such as serving as stable orbits for satellites and spacecraft, providing potential locations for future space stations, and facilitating the study of celestial bodies and space phenomena.