PMMC measuring Instrument reading

In summary, the question asks about the readings of a PMMC and MI meter for a circuit with diodes, considering them to be ideal. The correct answer for PMMC is 1V, while the correct answer for MI is 1.414V. However, the question may be flawed as it seems to describe a diode bridge circuit but is printed incorrectly. If it were a diode bridge, the PMMC meter would read 1V and the MI meter would read 1.414V. The expected readings for a square wave input would be 1V for the PMMC meter and 1.414V for the MI meter.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

upload_2018-1-22_19-47-0.png

Homework Equations

For question 14
PMMC measures average value
MI measures RMS value

The Attempt at a Solution

I think PMMC should give 0 V But book answer is B i.e 1 V (where am I wrong?)
and MI should give 1.414 V. For this book answer matches my answer.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-22_19-47-0.png
    upload_2018-1-22_19-47-0.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 795
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the question is flawed.
If the diodes are considered to be ideal:
Two diodes on the same side (either left or right) of the voltmeter get forward biased simultaneously and short the supply.
At the same time, the reverse biased diode pair effectively disconnects the voltmeter terminal connected to it from the voltage source.

I guess this was meant to be a diode bridge and got printed incorrectly.

Likes jaus tail
cnh1995 said:
I guess this was meant to be a diode bridge and got printed incorrectly
And if it were a diode bridge, the PMMC meter would indeed read 1V, not 0V.

By diode bridge you mean full wave rectifier bridge?
upload_2018-1-23_13-43-20.png

I think if input is square wave then Voltmeter should read average which is 1 V
MI should read rms which will be 1.414 V

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-23_13-43-20.png
    upload_2018-1-23_13-43-20.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 303

Related to PMMC measuring Instrument reading

1. What is a PMMC measuring instrument used for?

A PMMC (Permanent Magnet Moving Coil) measuring instrument is used for measuring electrical quantities such as current, voltage, and resistance. It is commonly used in laboratories and in electronic testing and measuring equipment.

2. How does a PMMC instrument work?

A PMMC instrument works by using a permanent magnet and a moving coil. When a current is passed through the coil, it experiences a force due to the interaction between the magnetic field of the permanent magnet and the magnetic field produced by the coil. This force causes the coil to move, and the displacement is measured and converted to an electrical reading.

3. What are the advantages of using a PMMC instrument?

Some advantages of using a PMMC instrument include its high accuracy, reliability, and sensitivity. It is also unaffected by external magnetic fields and has a linear scale, making it easy to read and interpret measurements.

4. What are the limitations of a PMMC instrument?

There are some limitations to using a PMMC instrument, such as its low power handling capacity and susceptibility to errors due to changes in temperature. It also requires a stable power supply for accurate readings.

5. How do you calibrate a PMMC instrument?

To calibrate a PMMC instrument, it is necessary to use a known reference source to check and adjust the instrument's readings. This can be done by comparing the readings of the instrument with the known values and adjusting the instrument's scale if needed. It is important to regularly calibrate a PMMC instrument to ensure accurate measurements.