Measurement (didn't understand solution)

• Thread starter jaus tail
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measurement
Therefore, the final reading on the voltmeter would be 24 V. In summary, the voltmeter measures the average voltage and reports the RMS by multiplying the average by 1.11, which results in a final reading of 24 V for a 24V DC supply.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

upload_2018-1-23_9-21-32.png

Homework Equations

For sine wave RMS/Avg = 1.11
For DC, RMS = Avg = Peak Value

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't understand the solution. There is a 24V DC supply. I give it to an AV Voltmeter. The Voltmeter responds to average value. So the voltmeter would give 24V DC. So Answer should be A. I know that RMS / Avg = 1.11 for sine wave. But I didn't understand what they've said in solution.

Can somebody help me out?

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-23_9-21-32.png
    upload_2018-1-23_9-21-32.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 645
Physics news on Phys.org
The voltmeter measures the average voltage, and since it is an AC voltmeter, it reports the RMS by multiplying the average by 1.11. Since it is sampling a DC signal, it gets an average of 24 V, but still assumes it is AC and applies the same multiplication factor.

Likes jaus tail and cnh1995

Related to Measurement (didn't understand solution)

1. What is measurement?

Measurement is the process of quantifying or assigning a numerical value to an attribute or property of an object or event. It is a fundamental aspect of science and is used to describe, compare, and understand the physical world.

2. Why is measurement important in science?

Measurement is important in science because it allows us to collect and analyze data, make predictions, and test hypotheses. It also helps us to standardize and communicate our findings with others in a precise and objective manner.

3. What are the different types of measurement?

The two main types of measurement are qualitative and quantitative. Qualitative measurements describe attributes or characteristics of an object or event, while quantitative measurements involve numerical values and can be further categorized as discrete (countable) or continuous (measurable).

4. How is accuracy different from precision in measurement?

Accuracy refers to how close a measurement is to the true value, while precision refers to how close a set of measurements are to each other. In other words, accuracy is a measure of correctness, while precision is a measure of consistency.

5. What are some common units of measurement?

Some common units of measurement include length (meter), mass (gram), time (second), temperature (degree Celsius), and volume (liter). These units can also be combined to measure other quantities, such as speed (meters per second) and density (grams per cubic centimeter).