PMF of X for Airport Metal Detector Activations

The CLT approximation for the binomial distribution is really quite poor if you are interested in values of x "close" to 0 and n is not very large.
joemama69

Homework Statement

Of the people passing through an airport metal detector, 0.5% activate it; Let X denote the number among a randomly selected group of 500 who activate it.

1) What is the PMF of X
i) Using th CLT (approximate PMF)
ii) Using the exact distribution of X

2) P(X = 5) using i and ii

3) P(X<=5) using i and ii

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So its been a while since I've taking a probability class but I thought this was a Binomial Distribution problem where n = X, p = .005 and n = 500

P(X = x) = (500 Permutation X) * (.005^X) * (1-.005)^(500-X)

but the output I am getting for X = 1,2,3... = .20, .51, 1.29 which are clearly wrong.

My thought for X = 1 would be P(X=1) = (1/500)*.005 = .00001 which seams reasonable to me but I am confusing myself when I go on to P(X = 2)

Any hints would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
500 Permutation X is not part of the Binomial Distribution.

Your first term is correct (The .20 one), but the second and third are wrong.

Last edited:
joemama69 said:

Homework Statement

Of the people passing through an airport metal detector, 0.5% activate it; Let X denote the number among a randomly selected group of 500 who activate it.

1) What is the PMF of X
i) Using th CLT (approximate PMF)
ii) Using the exact distribution of X

2) P(X = 5) using i and ii

3) P(X<=5) using i and ii

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So its been a while since I've taking a probability class but I thought this was a Binomial Distribution problem where n = X, p = .005 and n = 500

P(X = x) = (500 Permutation X) * (.005^X) * (1-.005)^(500-X)

but the output I am getting for X = 1,2,3... = .20, .51, 1.29 which are clearly wrong.

My thought for X = 1 would be P(X=1) = (1/500)*.005 = .00001 which seams reasonable to me but I am confusing myself when I go on to P(X = 2)

Any hints would be appreciated.

You should also have a value for x = 0.

Anyway, why do you think that P(X=1) = (1/500)*.005 ? You already gave a formula for P(X=x); what does it give you when x = 1? (It WON'T be what you wrote!)

Oops, should be Combination I am guessing?

Using that I get P(X = 1,2,3,...) = .20, .26, .21, .13, ...

These just don't seem correct to me. Seem way to high??

joemama69 said:
Oops, should be Combination I am guessing?

Using that I get P(X = 1,2,3,...) = .20, .26, .21, .13, ...

These just don't seem correct to me. Seem way to high??

They are OK, but you also need to look at P(X=0). After all, it is possible that all 500 fail to activate the device. And, of course, P(X = 0) is a definite part of the binomial distribution.

Ok thank you. So I have the PMF function. The problem asks to compute probabilities using...

1) the CLT (approximation)
2) exact distribution

What is the difference. I thought the CLT allowed the use of binomial dist because of the large n. How do I "approximate PMF" using CLT.

joemama69 said:
Ok thank you. So I have the PMF function. The problem asks to compute probabilities using...

1) the CLT (approximation)
2) exact distribution

What is the difference. I thought the CLT allowed the use of binomial dist because of the large n. How do I "approximate PMF" using CLT.

Whoever is asking you to use the CLT result is asking you to perform a disastrously bad approximation in this case. Your problem does not at all fit the criteria for getting a reasonable approximation via the CLT. The CLT is a LIMIT theorem; the question is whether you can use the limit as a good approximation when you are not taking something to ∞, but merely to a large value (500 in this case). Under certain circumstances the answer is YES, but not in this case.

However, for this problem there is another type of limit result that can be used instead. Google 'limits of binomial distribution'.

Note added in edit: well, maybe 'disastrously bad' is too strong; just plain 'not very good' is a better description.

Last edited:

Related to PMF of X for Airport Metal Detector Activations

1. What is the purpose of studying the PMF of X for airport metal detector activations?

The PMF (Probability Mass Function) of X is a statistical tool used to analyze the probability of a random variable, in this case, airport metal detector activations. By studying the PMF, we can understand the frequency and distribution of these activations, which can help in improving airport security measures.

2. How is the PMF of X calculated for airport metal detector activations?

The PMF of X is calculated by dividing the number of airport metal detector activations by the total number of trials or observations. For example, if there were 1000 total observations and 100 activations, the PMF would be 0.1 or 10%.

3. What factors can affect the PMF of X for airport metal detector activations?

There are several factors that can affect the PMF of X for airport metal detector activations, including the sensitivity of the metal detector, the type of metal being detected, the number of passengers passing through the detector, and the level of training and experience of the security personnel operating the metal detector.

4. How can the PMF of X be used to improve airport security?

By studying the PMF of X for airport metal detector activations, we can identify patterns and trends in the data that can help us improve airport security measures. For example, if there is a high frequency of activations during a specific time of day, we can increase security measures during that time. Additionally, by understanding the distribution of activations, we can make adjustments to metal detector settings or increase the number of security personnel during peak activation periods.

5. Are there any limitations to using the PMF of X for airport metal detector activations?

While the PMF of X can provide valuable insights into the frequency and distribution of airport metal detector activations, it is important to note that it is based on a limited number of observations and may not represent the entire population. Additionally, the PMF does not take into account the reasons for the activations, which may vary from person to person. Therefore, it should be used in conjunction with other security measures and not relied upon as the sole method of improving airport security.