Plug cos^2(30) into my scientific calculator

In summary, "Plug cos^2(30) into my scientific calculator" means to enter the cosine of 30 degrees squared (cos^2(30)) into a scientific calculator to find the result. This is necessary because the equation involves a trigonometric function (cosine) and its square, which cannot be easily solved with a basic calculator. To correctly enter cos^2(30) into a scientific calculator, you will need to use the "cos" button, followed by the "^2" or "x^2" button and enter the value 30. The result when plugging cos^2(30) into a scientific calculator will be 0.75. It is not recommended to use a regular calculator or
starfish794
How would I plug cos^2(30) into my scientific calculator to get the right answer? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does cos^2(30) mean? :smile:

I don't remember, its been years since I've done that kind of math.

Well, then, look it up in a math book.

Hint: What does ^2 mean in the expression?

Last edited:
There is a distinct difference between cos T^2 and cos^2 T. (Pretend that T=the angle.) Your problem asks for cos^2 T, or (cos T)^2 (calculator form). This means (cos T)(cos T), rather than cos (T*T).

Related to Plug cos^2(30) into my scientific calculator

1. What is the meaning of "Plug cos^2(30) into my scientific calculator"?

This means to enter the cosine of 30 degrees squared (cos^2(30)) into a scientific calculator to find the result.

2. Why do I need to use a scientific calculator to solve this equation?

The equation involves a trigonometric function (cosine) and its square, which cannot be easily solved with a basic calculator. A scientific calculator has the necessary functions and accuracy to solve this type of equation.

3. What is the correct way to enter cos^2(30) into a scientific calculator?

To enter cosine squared, you will need to use the "cos" button on your calculator, followed by the "^2" or "x^2" button to indicate the exponent. Then, enter the value 30 and press "=" or "enter" to get the result.

4. What will be the result when I plug cos^2(30) into my scientific calculator?

The result will be 0.75, as cos^2(30) is equal to 0.75 when solved using a scientific calculator in degree mode.

5. Can I use a regular calculator or my phone's calculator to solve this equation?

No, a regular calculator or phone's calculator may not have the necessary functions or accuracy to solve this equation correctly. It is best to use a scientific calculator for accurate results.