Simple Electric Field due to a Charged Disk

In summary, the conversation is about a question from a college introductory electricity and magnetism physics course. The conversation discusses the formula for electric field due to a disk and the derivation of this formula. The conversation also addresses a discrepancy in the answer obtained using the formula and the correct answer. The conversation also mentions the charge density of the disk and its surface charge. It is concluded that the teacher may have made a mistake in their solution.
yyfeng
Homework Statement
Hi all,
This was a question from college introductory electricity and magnetism physics course. Is there any way, we could get any of the choices above and not 14,911 N/C? If you get choice D (the same answer the professor insisted), please explain.
Relevant Equations
Electric field due to disk
My attempt at a solution is shown in attached file "work for #10.png". I used Desmos Scientific online calculator to obtain my final answer.

Attachments

• Question.png
    Question.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 104
  • E field due to disk.png
    E field due to disk.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 140
  • work for #10.png
    work for #10.png
    44 KB · Views: 109
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm v. rusty on this, but following the derivation and formula in Resnick et al, I get the same result as you.

Answer D is about twice the 149?? we get (switched my calc off!)
So I wonder if the Q means the surface of the disc is charged at that charge density , may be implying charged on both surfaces? (Though it says the disc "contains" that charge density. Hmm?)
Resnick takes charge only on the top surface.
If there is charge on both surfaces of thin disc, then wouldn't the charge be double that in the Resnick derivation? Or to put it another way, wouldn't there be an equal field from both surfaces, giving double the field strength.

yyfeng said:
Homework Statement:: Hi all,
This was a question from college introductory electricity and magnetism physics course. Is there any way, we could get any of the choices above and not 14,911 N/C? If you get choice D (the same answer the professor insisted), please explain.
Relevant Equations:: Electric field due to disk

My attempt at a solution is shown in attached file "work for #10.png". I used Desmos Scientific online calculator to obtain my final answer.

I get the same answer as you, using the formula provided. Do you have a copy of Halliday and Resnick that you can access? It looks like it says it's equation 22-26, so it would be good to see the derivation. It's curious that it is off by about a factor of 2 from what you say is the correct answer...

Edit -- Merlin beat me to it!

berkeman said:
it would be good to see the derivation

I think the formula is correct, you can set up the integral using polar coordinates, where each charge element ##\sigma r dr d\theta## is a distance ##\sqrt{r^2 + z^2}## from ##\mathcal{P}##, and the cosine of the angle between this line and the vertical is ##\cos{\phi} = \frac{z}{\sqrt{z^2+r^2}}##, so$$\begin{align*}E_z &= k\sigma z \int_0^{2\pi} \int_{0}^R \frac{r}{(z^2 + r^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}} dr d\theta \\

&= -2\pi k \sigma z \left[ \frac{1}{\sqrt{z^2 + r^2}} \right]_{r=0}^{r=R} \\

&= 2\pi k \sigma z \left( \frac{1}{z} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{z^2 + R^2}} \right) \\

& = \frac{\sigma}{2\varepsilon_0} \left( 1 - \frac{z}{\sqrt{z^2 + R^2}} \right)

\end{align*}$$

Likes PhDeezNutz and berkeman
In my 6th Ed it is 23-26
I'm too old & rusty to check his integration, but he says, "... has a positive surface charge of uniform density sigm C/m^2 on its upper surface."

Notice, I've edited my post to indicate the correct Q wording to "the disc contains 2.5x 10^-6 C/m^2 of charge" , whatever that means. The disc must surely be an insulator, else it wouldn't have a uniform distribution. So however much charge it contains, if the whole surface is covered at that chrge density, you've got double the charge of Resnick's top surface .

Merlin3189 said:
So however much charge it contains, if the whole surface is covered at that chrge density, you've got double the charge of Resnick's top surface

Since the disk is a 2-dimensional surface confined to the ##x##-##y## plane, there is only one surface, so the total charge on the disk is ##Q = \sigma A = \pi r^2 \times (2.5\times 10^{-6} \mathrm{Cm^{-2}})##. Only if the disk had non-zero height would the total charge be double what it is in this case. I think the teacher is wrong o0)

Likes yyfeng and Merlin3189

Related to Simple Electric Field due to a Charged Disk

1. What is a charged disk?

A charged disk is a flat, circular object that has a net electrical charge. This charge can either be positive or negative, and it is evenly distributed across the surface of the disk.

2. How does a charged disk create an electric field?

The charged disk creates an electric field because the charges on its surface repel or attract other charges. This results in an electric field that extends outwards from the disk in all directions.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field created by a charged disk?

The strength of the electric field created by a charged disk depends on the magnitude of the charge on the disk, the distance from the disk, and the size of the disk. The electric field is stronger when the charge is larger, the distance is smaller, and the disk is larger.

4. How is the direction of the electric field determined for a charged disk?

The direction of the electric field is determined by the direction in which a positive test charge would move if placed near the disk. The electric field lines point away from a positively charged disk and towards a negatively charged disk.

5. What is the equation for the electric field due to a charged disk?

The electric field due to a charged disk can be calculated using the equation E = kQ/(2πε0r), where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the disk, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the disk.