Pls can someone help me to solve this question, am practicing for my exams.

• Thread starter smokee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exams
In summary, the specific heat capacity of water is 4.184 J/g°C. A 500g sample of water is exposed to light emitted by a CO2 laser with a wavelength of 1.06 × 104 nm. Assuming all of the light energy is converted into heat, the number of moles of photons required to raise the temperature of the water by 2°C is calculated to be 4184 J. This is found by dividing the energy required to raise the temperature by the energy of a single photon at 1.05 x 10^-5 m. No conversion to kilograms is necessary as the heat capacity is given per gram.
smokee
The specific heat capacity of water is 4.184 J/g°C. A 500g sample of water is exposed
to the light emitted by a CO2 laser. The wavelength of the laser light is 1.06 × 104 nm.
Assuming that all of the light energy is converted into heat, calculate the number
moles of photons required to raise the temperature of the water by 2°C.

sorry folks, can anyone give me a little insight about BONDING and ANTI-BONDING ORDER in MOLECULAR ORBITAL.

cheers alot. SmokeE

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea about "bonding" and "anti-bonding" but the first part of your question is just a matter of arithmetic. You are asked about raising the temperature of the water 2°C so that will require (4.184 J/g°C)(2°C)= 8.368 J/g. You have 500 g of water so that will require (8.368 J/g)(500 g)= 4184 J.

Now, how much energy does a photon of light at 1.05 x 104 nm (was that 10-4? It couldn't be just 105*104 nm or 105 x 104 nm and still be "light".)
have? Divide 4184 J by that to see how many photons are required.

@hallsofivy - thanks for the reply its 105*10^4 nm =105*10^-5 m because nm = 10^-9

thanks a lot it helped

sorry bro, will i not have to convert the 500g to Kg?

cheers

Heat capacity is given per g, not per kg.

@ hallisofivy

Thanks for helping bro :L

Related to Pls can someone help me to solve this question, am practicing for my exams.

1. What is the question you need help solving?

The question is: "Pls can someone help me to solve this question, am practicing for my exams."

2. What subject is the question related to?

The subject of the question is not specified, so it could pertain to any subject being studied for exams.

3. Have you attempted to solve the question on your own?

It is not mentioned whether the individual has attempted to solve the question on their own, but it is always recommended to try and solve a problem independently before seeking help.

4. Can you provide any additional information about the question?

Without knowing the specific question, it is difficult to provide additional information. It would be helpful to know the context, any equations or formulas involved, and any relevant information given in the question.

5. What resources have you already consulted for help?

If the individual has not consulted any resources, it would be beneficial to do so before seeking assistance. Some resources could include textbooks, class notes, online tutorials, or asking a teacher or classmate for help.