Plotting reflection coefficient

In summary, the task is to plot the magnitude of the reflection coefficient, r, as a function of incident angle from 0 to 90 degrees with a step size of 1 degree. This is for a transverse electric plane wave incident from air to glass. The equation for r is given as (n1cosθi - n2cosθt)/ (n1cosθi + n2cosθt), where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of air and glass, respectively. The solution involves using Snell's law to calculate the angle of transmission, θt, and then substituting it into the equation to plot r as a function of θi. The plot can be created in
nmsurobert

Homework Statement

plot the magnitude |r| of the reflection coefficient as a function of incident angle from 0 to 90 degrees with a step size of 1 degree for the following cases: (ill only post one)

A transverse electric plane wave in incident from air to glass

Homework Equations

r = (n1cosθi - n2cosθt)/ (n1cosθi + n2cosθt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was just going to plot r vs degrees but i only know the incident angles, 0 though 90. What i do about the other angle?
I'm currently trying to plot it in excel. I think he expects us to plot it in MATLAB but i have no experience with matlab.

Physics news on Phys.org
i think i solved it. i can just use snells law and figure out the angle.

Related to Plotting reflection coefficient

1. What is the reflection coefficient?

The reflection coefficient, also known as the reflection factor, is a measure of how much of an electromagnetic wave is reflected when it encounters a boundary between two different materials. It is represented by the Greek letter rho (ρ) and is a unitless quantity typically expressed as a decimal or percentage.

2. How is the reflection coefficient calculated?

The reflection coefficient is calculated by taking the ratio of the reflected wave amplitude to the incident wave amplitude. This can be determined using the following formula: ρ = (Er / Ei), where Er is the reflected wave amplitude and Ei is the incident wave amplitude.

3. What information can the reflection coefficient provide?

The reflection coefficient can provide information about the properties of the materials at the boundary, such as their electrical conductivity and dielectric constant. It can also be used to determine the amount of energy that is reflected or transmitted at the boundary.

4. How does the reflection coefficient affect signal strength?

The reflection coefficient plays a significant role in determining the strength of a signal. A high reflection coefficient indicates that a large portion of the incident wave is being reflected, resulting in a weaker signal. On the other hand, a low reflection coefficient indicates that most of the incident wave is being transmitted, resulting in a stronger signal.

5. How can the reflection coefficient be used in practical applications?

The reflection coefficient is commonly used in various fields, such as telecommunications, radar, and optics. It is used to design and optimize antenna systems, determine the quality of materials in manufacturing processes, and analyze the properties of optical coatings. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as ultrasound and MRI, to understand the interactions of electromagnetic waves with human tissue.