Plasma Physics Question - making a protecting shield

In summary, the conversation discusses using a wire grid with different voltages to repel a plasma. The grid voltage must be higher than the electron energy in order to repel them. There may be a saturation point for the distance between the grid and plasma, but it is unclear how to calculate this voltage. A patent with diagrams is referenced for further information.
thetao
I need to find the correct voltage to apply to a wire grid in order to repel a plasma of which I know the density (free electrons per volume) and the particle energy in eV. I see a Debye sheath as being analogous to what I will create with such a charge.

The way I see it is that I will have two wire layers at opposite potentials, creating a capacitance in between them, and this will create an outside charge. This charge will repel the plasma on the outside so that it does not enter the system.

Would someone tell me what I need to consider in order to solve this problem? I understand that different voltages would achieve a larger or smaller distance between the outside wire grid and the plasma, more or less debye lengths, but is there a saturation point, a voltage beyond which the distance would not be noticeably increased? How do I go about calculating this voltage?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The grid voltage must be greater than the voltage part of the electron energy (eV).

It's not guaranteed that every electron will be repelled ... there is a statistical variation of energies inside the plasma.Not clear on what you are trying to accomplish - diagrams are preferred over verbal descriptions - but here is a patent that discusses some similar issues, and has diagrams:
http://www.google.com/patents/US20030102402

I've used the voltage on a grid to repel electrons that were _below_ a given energy; in this application they would only have contributed to the noise, and so had to be rejected.

Related to Plasma Physics Question - making a protecting shield

1. What is plasma?

Plasma is a state of matter in which particles are highly charged and can interact with each other through electromagnetic forces. It is often referred to as the fourth state of matter, along with solid, liquid, and gas.

2. How can plasma be used to create a protecting shield?

Plasma can be manipulated using magnetic fields to create a high-energy barrier that can protect against harmful particles or radiation. This is known as a plasma shield and has potential applications in space travel and nuclear power.

3. What are the benefits of using plasma as a protecting shield?

Plasma shields have the advantage of being adjustable and controllable, providing a more flexible and efficient protection system. They also have the potential to be lighter and less bulky compared to traditional shielding materials.

4. What are the challenges in creating a plasma shield?

One of the main challenges is maintaining a stable plasma state, as it can be difficult to control and can be affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure. Additionally, the energy required to sustain a plasma shield may be high, making it costly to implement.

5. Are there any current applications of plasma shields?

While plasma shields are still in the early stages of development, there have been some successful experiments in using plasma to shield against radiation in space. There is also ongoing research in using plasma shields for radiation protection in nuclear reactors and spacecraft.