Please help with a uniform circular motion problem

In summary: The vector CP (where C is the center of the circle) forms a 45 degree angle with the x-axis and calculates how much longer than r the new y-component is. This new y-component is r + r/2, which you appear to have assumed.
atlbraves49
Hey can you guys give me some help with this physics problem.. having real issues figuring it out, and I've looked all over the internet. Google'd like 100 times...

A Particle at Constant Speed A particle P travels with constant speed on a circle of radius r = 3.35 m (Figure 5-39) and completes one revolution in 20.0 s. The particle passes through O at time t = 0. State the following vectors in magnitude-angle notation (angle relative to the positive direction of x).

The picture of it...
http://www.webassign.net/hrw/166710.gif

1.) With respect to O, find the particle's position vector at the time t = 5.00 s.
answer: _________ ANGLE: 45degrees

I figured out the angle, but i can't figure out how to get the position vector. Just so u know, in case u try the problem, I've already tried the following answers, that are apparently wrong : 1.05, 4.21, .948, 5.26, and 3.35

the rest of the questions are similar to #1, so if u guys can help me with that one, i can figure out the rest.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you drawn the picture where t=5s? In case you are looking for the magnitude of vector OP at that time, pythagoras should do it, right?

i did draw a picture, that really didnt do much though. I got that part of the question actually, apparently i was supposed to use the equation a (position vector0 = SqRt(ax^2+ay^2). And since it went 3.35 in the x direction, and 3.35 in the y direction, at time=5s, i got an answer of 4.74

However, I can't figure it out for when t=7.5seconds
I figured out that the angle is 67.5, and that is correct... but i can't get the position vector. I apparently need to use the formula that i used for the 1st one, but the answers i tried didnt work, can anyone help with that?

It's the same logic! Give a second thought to it, will ya?!

PS. This time trigonometry. :)

Last edited:
i used trig, and i tried the following answers, none of which are correct apparently:

5.3 , 5.7 , 6.6

do you get an answer different from those? I was sure that 5.3 was right but apparently its not

Yeah, I get 6.19. Is it correct?

I thought that the vector CP (where C is the center of the circle) forms a 45 degree angle with the x-axis and calculated how much longer than r the new y-component is.

PS. The new y-component is NOT r + r/2, which you appear to have assumed... (?)

Last edited:
This might be that I am stupid, but shouldn't the angle be 90?

Just saying 20s per cycle, 4 quadrants, 20/4=5?

Related to Please help with a uniform circular motion problem

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is the motion of an object moving along a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object is moving at the same speed and direction at all points along the circular path.

2. How do you calculate the speed of an object in uniform circular motion?

The speed of an object in uniform circular motion can be calculated by dividing the circumference of the circular path by the time it takes for the object to complete one full revolution.

3. What is the centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

The centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for changing the direction of an object's velocity.

4. How is uniform circular motion different from non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion involves an object moving at a constant speed along a circular path. In non-uniform circular motion, the speed of the object may vary at different points along the circular path.

5. How can I solve a uniform circular motion problem?

To solve a uniform circular motion problem, you can use the equations for centripetal force and speed, as well as any given information about the object's mass, radius, and time. It is also helpful to draw a diagram and label all known values to better visualize the problem.