How Do You Calculate the Value of C1 in a Mixed Capacitor Circuit?

• Thread starter mbaban
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitors
In summary: If the initial charge on all capacitors was zero (when the voltage was zero), we can say, Q_{1} + Q_{2} = Q_{3} Think about that if it doesn't make intuitive sense. All the current that goes through C3 also goes though either C1 or C2; there's no other place for it to go. And what is current? It's just charge per unit time. The equation is only true though if we happen to know that the charge on all capacitors was zero before current entered the the circuit.From there we can start combining equations and get to the answer, knowing that C = Q/V.
mbaban
Please help me with this "capacitors" problem ?

Two capacitors connected in Parallel and their sum(Ceq12) is connected in series with a third capacitor .

Givens are : (( C1 = unknown value (X) , C2 = 4uF , C3 = 18 uF , Q1 = 300 uC , V = 90V ))

The question wants the value of C1 , ( I find it impossible to solve because givens aren't enough but my teacher insists that it can be done ) Please help ! {if it helps the answer is 5uF but i can figure how }.

OK here is what i did :

Equations :

-Parallel : Ceq = C1 + C2
-series : 1/Ceq = 1/c1 + 1/c2
-Q= CV , C = Q/V , V= Q/C
- in series Q=Q , v=v1+v2
- in parallel V=V , Q=Q1+Q2
those are the needed equations i think

ok here is what i did :
Ps : ( I am not just looking for a fast and easy way to do homework , i actually tried a lot )

-- i used 1/Ct = 1/ceq12 + 1/C3
1/Ct = 1/x+4 + 1/18
-continued to Qt = 18x+72/22+x * 90

-- i reached a quadratic equation in one of my tries
-- and now i reached 1620x-5100 = 0

{ tried many ways , got confused , dead ends , o please help me }

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I find it impossible to solve because givens aren't enough
What did you try so far? Where did you run into problems?
Which equations for capacitors do you know? Please use the homework template, we have it for a good reason.

I can confirm that it is possible to solve the problem.

mfb said:
What did you try so far? Where did you run into problems?
Which equations for capacitors do you know? Please use the homework template, we have it for a good reason.

I can confirm that it is possible to solve the problem.

It is my first post that's why , where should i post what i did ?

1/Ct = 1/x+4 + 1/18
That fraction should get brackets:
1/Ct = 1/(x+4) + 1/18
Okay, everything in µF, fine.

I don't understand what you did afterwards. You can directly determine Ct from voltage and charge, and simplify the equation to a linear equation: take 1/18 to the left side, invert both sides (if 1/a=1/b, then a=b), that is probably the quickest method.

mfb said:
That fraction should get brackets:
1/Ct = 1/(x+4) + 1/18
Okay, everything in µF, fine.

I don't understand what you did afterwards. You can directly determine Ct from voltage and charge, and simplify the equation to a linear equation: take 1/18 to the left side, invert both sides (if 1/a=1/b, then a=b), that is probably the quickest method.

the charge is only Q1 charge , the trick is in the combinations , since it is Vt=v1+v2 in series so the voltage is unknown for Ceq12 , while in parallel Q1 doesn't equal Q2 and that is the issue

First let me summarize what we know so far (I'll put units in square brackets, so that they are not confused with variables):

mbaban said:
Two capacitors connected in Parallel and their sum(Ceq12) is connected in series with a third capacitor .

Givens are : (( C1 = unknown value (X) , C2 = 4uF , C3 = 18 uF , Q1 = 300 uC , V = 90V ))

[tex] C_{\mathrm{eq}} = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{18 \ \mathrm{[\mu F]}} +
\frac{1}{C_1 + \ 4 \ [\mathrm{\mu F}]}} [/tex]

and,

[tex] 90 \ [\mathrm{V}] = V_{1, 2} + V_{3} [/tex]

mbaban said:
the charge is only Q1 charge , the trick is in the combinations , since it is Vt=v1+v2 in series so the voltage is unknown for Ceq12 , while in parallel Q1 doesn't equal Q2 and that is the issue

Did the problem state that before applying potential to the circuit, that the charge on all capacitors was zero? That makes a difference.

If the initial charge on all capacitors was zero (when the voltage was zero), we can say,

[tex] Q_{1} + Q_{2} = Q_{3} [/tex]

Think about that if it doesn't make intuitive sense. All the current that goes through C3 also goes though either C1 or C2; there's no other place for it to go. And what is current? It's just charge per unit time. The equation is only true though if we happen to know that the charge on all capacitors was zero before current entered the the circuit.

From there we can start combining equations and get to the answer, knowing that C = Q/V.

Last edited:
mbaban said:
Ah okay, then the equation might get quadratic, indeed.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Value of C1 in a Mixed Capacitor Circuit?

1. What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores and releases electrical energy in the form of an electric charge. It is composed of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied, one plate accumulates a positive charge while the other accumulates a negative charge, creating an electric field between them. This stored energy can be released when the capacitor is connected to a circuit.

2. How do I calculate the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be calculated by dividing the electric charge on one plate by the potential difference (voltage) between the two plates. It is also affected by the area and distance between the plates, as well as the type of dielectric material used.

3. What is the difference between a capacitor and a battery?

A capacitor and a battery both store electrical energy, but in different ways. A battery uses chemical reactions to generate a steady flow of electrons, while a capacitor stores energy in an electric field. Batteries typically have a higher energy storage capacity, but capacitors can release energy more quickly and efficiently.

4. Why do capacitors have different values and ratings?

Capacitors come in a variety of values and ratings to suit different electronic applications. The capacitance value is determined by the dimensions and materials of the capacitor, and can range from picofarads (pF) to farads (F). The ratings, such as voltage and temperature, indicate the maximum limits that the capacitor can handle without damaging it.

5. Can a capacitor be used in any electronic circuit?

Capacitors can be used in a wide range of electronic circuits, including power supplies, filters, timing circuits, and signal conditioning. However, the type and value of capacitor needed will depend on the specific requirements of the circuit. It is important to choose the correct capacitor to ensure proper functionality and avoid potential issues such as overheating or failure.