Please help me with these GCSE calculus questions.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of the normal to a curve at a given point using mathematical explanations and methods such as derivatives and substitution. It also addresses the concept of constants and how they affect the results of calculations.
nyrychvantel
1. A curve passes through the point ([tex]\pi[/tex]/2 , 0) and it's gradient at any point (x,y) on the curve is (sin x)(1 - sin x), find the equation of the normal to the curve at the point x = [tex]\pi[/tex].

I tried to sub x = [tex]\pi[/tex], then dy/dx = 0
so that means gradient of the tangent at x = [tex]\pi[/tex] is 0
So, can I say the gradient of the normal is also = 0?
However it contradicts me as I know (Grad. of tgt.)(Grad. of normal) = -1
0 * 0 [tex]\neq[/tex] -1
How can I show the equation of the normal to my examiners with mathematical explanations?

2egczti.gif

Can someone please explain to me why there are two different results(if i ignore the c)? Or did I do the question wrongly?

3. [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{3-x}{1-x}[/tex]
How can I solve this question? I'm totally stucked because there is a x in the numerator. So is the "ln" method still applicable here?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the second one, try the substitution u = 1-x

nyrychvantel said:
1. A curve passes through the point ([tex]\pi[/tex]/2 , 0) and it's gradient at any point (x,y) on the curve is (sin x)(1 - sin x), find the equation of the normal to the curve at the point x = [tex]\pi[/tex].

I tried to sub x = [tex]\pi[/tex], then dy/dx = 0
so that means gradient of the tangent at x = [tex]\pi[/tex] is 0
So, can I say the gradient of the normal is also = 0?
However it contradicts me as I know (Grad. of tgt.)(Grad. of normal) = -1
0 * 0 [tex]\neq[/tex] -1
How can I show the equation of the normal to my examiners with mathematical explanations?
I presume that by "gradient" of a function of one variable, you mean the derivative. (That's common in England. In the United States, "gradient" is usually reserved for the vector of partial derivatives of a function of several variables.)

No, the "gradient of the normal" is not "also = 0". that ought to be clear if you have any idea what "gradient" means. The gradient is the slope of the tangent line. You want the line perpendicular to that. If the slope of 1 line is 0, then the slope of a line perpendicular to it is -1/m- if it exists. If the slope of a line is 0, it is, of course, horizontal (of the form y= constant). In that case the perpendicular line does not have a "slope" but is of the form x= constant.

2egczti.gif

Can someone please explain to me why there are two different results(if i ignore the c)? Or did I do the question wrongly?
You can't ignore the c! The only difference between the two is that constant. One of the constants is the other plus ln(3). Since ln(3) is itself a constant, c+ ln(3) is still a constant.

3. [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{3-x}{1-x}[/tex]
How can I solve this question? I'm totally stucked because there is a x in the numerator. So is the "ln" method still applicable here?

Thanks!
Let u= 1-x. then du= -dx and x= 1- u so 3- x= what?

HallsofIvy said:
I presume that by "gradient" of a function of one variable, you mean the derivative. (That's common in England. In the United States, "gradient" is usually reserved for the vector of partial derivatives of a function of several variables.)

No, the "gradient of the normal" is not "also = 0". that ought to be clear if you have any idea what "gradient" means. The gradient is the slope of the tangent line. You want the line perpendicular to that. If the slope of 1 line is 0, then the slope of a line perpendicular to it is -1/m- if it exists. If the slope of a line is 0, it is, of course, horizontal (of the form y= constant). In that case the perpendicular line does not have a "slope" but is of the form x= constant.

Erm...then how do you determine whether the tangent is a horizontal or vertical? I'm not sure I could convince my examiner without any mathematical proof...

You can't ignore the c! The only difference between the two is that constant. One of the constants is the other plus ln(3). Since ln(3) is itself a constant, c+ ln(3) is still a constant.

I get what you mean! thanks!

Let u= 1-x. then du= -dx and x= 1- u so 3- x= what?
I suddenly notice I can break it down by partial fraction.
I've never learned substitution method to solve such question, but I think substitution is better as it can calculate the c straightaway! Please correct me if I do it wrong..
2dl9d39.gif

Related to Please help me with these GCSE calculus questions.

1. What is calculus and why is it important for GCSE?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of rates of change and accumulation. It is important for GCSE as it is the foundation for higher level math courses and is also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do I solve calculus questions?

To solve calculus questions, you need to have a strong understanding of the basic concepts such as derivatives, integrals, and limits. Practice and familiarizing yourself with different types of problems is also key to solving them effectively.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving calculus questions?

Some common mistakes to avoid include not understanding the question properly, not showing all the steps in your solution, and making careless errors in calculations. It is important to double check your work and seek help if you are unsure of your answer.

4. How can I improve my understanding of calculus?

To improve your understanding of calculus, you can review your notes and textbooks regularly, attend extra help sessions or seek help from a tutor. You can also practice solving different types of problems to strengthen your skills.

5. Is there any specific strategy for tackling calculus questions?

Yes, there are some strategies that can help you tackle calculus questions more effectively. These include understanding the problem, drawing diagrams or graphs, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, and using algebraic techniques to simplify the problem.