Please help me identify this electronic component in Camera

In summary, the broken component is a capacitor and it is likely that there is a problem with the backup date/time system.
larrybud
I have a Casio FH-20 camera. I tried looking for a schematic to no avail. Everything in the camera works fine except that it will no longer remember the date/time when the batteries are removed. I figured there was a lithium battery in the camera that went dead (it's about 8 years old, I believe), so I took it apart.

On the main board is a broken component (literally broken).. I *think* it's a capacitor, which would make sense as far as backup of the date/time would go.

Here's an image of the main board with the broken component. The # on the piece is 4R7U. But haven't found anything online which necessarily would be a replacement.

Thanks for any help!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/23k62eqvz3qw2fl/2016-02-18 21.07.38.jpg?dl=0

Engineering news on Phys.org
just a guess here
it's a 4.7 uh inductor not unlike this Panasonic
http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/Panasonic Electronic Components/R_Series_ELL5PR.pdf

reason for that guess is it looks like a coil under the hole in its top
and the large solder pads suggest a power handling component

not to discourage enthusiasm, but if it blew its top there is probably something else wrong that caused it to do that
can you measure the DC and AC voltages across it in operation ? Compare to others? Unsolder and compare its resistance to one of the others? That takes surgeon's fingers.

Likes davenn
agree with Jim ... definitely an inductor

I don't see any backup capacitor or battery in that circuit ... show a fuller pic of the circuit board pleaseDave

Likes jim hardy
It also looks like some components were burned off of the board at the top of the picture.

BoB

My vote is for a 4.7 uH inductor as well
However, the ferrite might be a bit broken but the main magnetic loop of the inductor seems fine. The inductor should still work ! Maybe the inductance would drop a bit but most circuits can take some variations of component values without any problem. Maybe the burned-off component at the top?

rbelli1 said:
It also looks like some components were burned off of the board at the top of the picture.
Or is that an area of corrosion? From a leaking battery or cap?

rbelli1 said:

BoB

unspecified.jpg

Not sure there, but don't think so

I had earlier asked for a fuller board image, but, as is common, the OP has been silent, so we may never know the whole storyDave

Sorry Dave, was busy over the weekend. This is about 90% of the board. Also, I never got an email notifying me of the other replies, so I didn't bother to check.

I'll get a full pic of the board when I get home from work today.

Related to Please help me identify this electronic component in Camera

1. What is the purpose of this electronic component in a camera?

The purpose of this electronic component in a camera is to convert light into electrical signals that can be processed and stored as digital images. It is an essential part of the camera's imaging system.

2. How can I identify this electronic component in my camera?

To identify an electronic component in a camera, you can refer to the camera's user manual or contact the manufacturer. You can also perform a visual inspection of the component and look for any identifying markings or labels.

3. Can I replace this electronic component on my own?

Replacing electronic components in a camera requires technical knowledge and skills. It is best to seek professional help from a trained technician or the camera's manufacturer.

4. What are the common types of electronic components found in a camera?

Some common types of electronic components found in a camera include image sensors, lenses, circuit boards, processors, and memory cards.

5. How long does this electronic component typically last in a camera?

The lifespan of an electronic component in a camera can vary depending on the quality, usage, and maintenance of the camera. On average, electronic components can last for several years before needing a replacement.