Recycling parts from other electronics

In summary: That will usually give you the dimensions of the chip and some links to suppliers.In summary, you can recycle parts from used electronics to make a QR code reader. The parts needed are a graphic LCD display, an Arduino board, and a small camera.
CGarrett
Hi everyone, first time poster on Physics forum here. I'm working on a school project to make a device to read QR code. I'm strapped for cash so I'm trying to figure out if I can recycle some parts from used electronics. Looking for the following parts:

- a graphic LCD display
- an arduino board
- small camera

I found these parts on sparkfun.com that would work for my purposes.

Graphic LCD Display
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/710"

Arduino Board
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9219"

Camera
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10061"

I could buy them online but I'd rather use the money towards rent. Does anyone have suggestions of common, everyday electronics that I could recycle these parts from? Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I doubt you'll find a microcontroller dev board to salvage from anywhere. That dev board isn't even complete. You still need a power supply and some way to get data on to it.

As for the camera, you could find something similar in a digital camera, webcam, but those would easily set you back the same amount or more.

I was thinking to hack a digital camera by hooking up serial cable for programming the microcontroller in it (in that particular camera it does accept serial programming), but never really got around with it. That would require a LOT of reverse engineering.
You can in principle reuse small lcd display from anywhere, you need to google up the chips around and find controller chip's datasheet, then wire up your wires to it's inputs.

Arduino Board - you can get just the chip alone (preprogrammed with arduino bootloader even), it's something like 5 euros, and the quartz resonator etc and wire it up to serial port yourself, essentially, make that board on your own.

The camera too, you can salvage it from old digital camera and google up specifications for the cam and it's interface chip (the one that reads the CCD).

Related to Recycling parts from other electronics

1. What are the benefits of recycling parts from other electronics?

Recycling parts from other electronics has several benefits. It reduces the amount of electronic waste that ends up in landfills, conserves natural resources that would otherwise be used to manufacture new parts, and reduces energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions associated with production. It also helps to create a circular economy by giving new life to old parts.

2. How can I recycle parts from my old electronics?

There are a few ways to recycle parts from old electronics. You can either take them to a designated e-waste recycling facility or donate them to organizations that specialize in refurbishing and repurposing old electronics. Some companies also offer trade-in programs where you can exchange your old device for credit towards a new one.

3. Can all parts from electronics be recycled?

While many parts from electronics can be recycled, not all of them can. Some components, like batteries and certain types of plastic, may require specialized recycling processes. It's important to research the specific parts you want to recycle and find out if they can be recycled and how.

4. Are there any safety concerns when recycling parts from electronics?

When handling old electronics, there are a few safety precautions you should take. Make sure to wear gloves and goggles when disassembling devices to protect yourself from any sharp edges or hazardous materials. It's also important to properly dispose of any batteries or other potentially harmful components.

5. What can I do with the parts I've recycled?

There are a few options for what you can do with the parts you've recycled. You can use them to repair or upgrade other electronics, donate them to organizations or individuals who may need them, or even sell them to companies that specialize in refurbishing old electronics. You can also get creative and repurpose them for DIY projects or art projects.