Please help me finding this centroid of a graph. Thank you.

In summary: Also, because you did not use the correct integral, I do not know what you computed. I do not know what you mean by the last sentence.In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the x-coordinate of the centroid of a region bounded by the graphs of y=5/(√(25-x2)). The relevant equation for finding the centroid was mentioned, but the incorrect integral was used in the attempt at a solution. The conversation ended with a request for a place to post quick questions about integrals.
sun1234
Member warned about posting with no effort shown

Homework Statement

Find the x-coordinate of the centroid of the region bounded by the graphs of

Homework Equations

y= 5/(√(25-x2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I stuck at finding Mx

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sun1234 said:

Homework Statement

Find the x-coordinate of the centroid of the region bounded by the graphs of

Homework Equations

y= 5/(√(25-x2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I stuck at finding Mx[/B]
Please post some attempt.
What you quote as a 'relevant equation' is part of the problem statement. A relevant equation here would be a general equation for finding a centroid.

Likes sun1234
Here is what I got so far.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Hm-tHWU3uR5FHIcZIqSHVDGDjaKA1lA68L2m_DgLeU7LMUmwV2qcVIQr8_kEQ_AjkFJ5PjlGz8=w1256-h843

In the OP you did not state the other boundaries, so I assume they are indeed x=0, y=0 and x=5.
You are only asked for the x coordinate. You found this, but called it MY.

Likes sun1234
Thank you so much. How blind I am!

sun1234 said:
Here is what I got so far.
[PLAIN]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Hm-tHWU3uR5FHIcZIqSHVDGDjaKA1lA68L2m_DgLeU7LMUmwV2qcVIQr8_kEQ_AjkFJ5PjlGz8=w1256-h843[/QUOTE]

The ##x##-corrdinate of the centroid of the region between ##y = 0## and ##y = f(x) (\geq 0)##, with ##a \leq x \leq b## is
[tex] C_x = \frac{1}{A} \int_a^b x f(x) \, dx, \; \text{where} \; A = \int_a^b f(x) \, dx [/tex]
I cannot make out exactly what you have computed, but I do not see an integral like ##\int x f(x) \, dx## anywhere. Did I miss it?

BTW: such issues arise often when people submit photos of written work, instead of typing it out as they are supposed to do in this Forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's My (not my in English). I already calculated, so don't bother about it. Thank you for trying to help. By the way, do you know where I can post quick questions? I have an integral that I can't figure out, but I don't want to make a new thread about it. Thank you.

sun1234 said:
That's My (not my in English). I already calculated, so don't bother about it. Thank you for trying to help. By the way, do you know where I can post quick questions? I have an integral that I can't figure out, but I don't want to make a new thread about it. Thank you.

For the record, what you wrote for My (by which you meant Mx) is NOT CORRECT. Mx = a ratio of two quantities, and what you called My is the numerator of the ratio, not the actual ratio itself.

Related to Please help me finding this centroid of a graph. Thank you.

1. What is the centroid of a graph?

The centroid of a graph is the point at which all the mass of the graph is evenly distributed. It is the balance point of the graph, where the sum of the moments of all the points is equal.

2. How do you find the centroid of a graph?

To find the centroid of a graph, you need to take the average of all the x-coordinates and the average of all the y-coordinates of the points on the graph. This will give you the coordinates of the centroid.

3. What is the significance of finding the centroid of a graph?

The centroid of a graph is important because it helps us understand the overall properties of the graph, such as its center of mass and its moments of inertia. It can also be used to find the center of gravity of an object represented by the graph.

4. Can the centroid of a graph be located outside of the graph?

No, the centroid of a graph will always be located within the boundaries of the graph. It is the point at which the graph is perfectly balanced, so it cannot be located outside of the graph.

5. Is there a formula for finding the centroid of any graph?

Yes, the formula for finding the centroid of any graph is (x̄, ȳ) = (1/n)Σ(xi, yi), where n is the total number of points on the graph, xi and yi are the coordinates of each point, and x̄ and ȳ are the coordinates of the centroid.