Please help I want to study physics

In summary, the speaker is a 44-year-old who is starting their education at San Antonio College with a major in Physics. They have a strong desire to work in a scientific field and are willing to attend additional math labs to improve their skills. They are considering specializing in multiple fields, but are unsure if this is achievable in their lifetime. They are seeking advice on how to have a fulfilling career in a scientific field without spending too much time in college.
Abstruce
I am registering at San Antonio College with a major in Physics. I took intro to physics and received an A at NMSU. I feel a little lost because my math is not so good as of yet. I am going to attend an six hour minimum a week math lab and plan to spend at least 12 hours a week in the lab. There seems to be quite a few areas of study under the physics classification. I am going to fill the rest of my schedule with general studies. I want to work on exciting technowledge of the future like Gravitational Population Systems would be preferred. I need to know if Physics my first choice can be a reality for me. I am 44 years old and am just starting my education. I feel a strong desire to work in a scientific field. I have been an inventor and have reached a mid life crisis. I almost feel like I would like to achieve degrees in Chemistry, Physics and electronics so I could use all three to create and solve problems. I guess I feel that this may not be possible to achieve because there is so much to learn an I have so little time remaining in my life. Is it common place that people who work in the science related fields only specialize in a narrow field of endeavor or is it more common that Scientists are educated in multiple fields.
Can any Physicists on this site give me any ideas for obtaining an rewarding life working in a scientific field without spending the next ten years in college. Thank You

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need 3 bachelor's degrees to either enjoy or solve scientific problems. Specialize in one or two areas, and understand what's going on in the others. "Technoledge" and "Gravitational Population Systems" are terms I am not familiar with, although the second seems like a specific astrophysics area. Having fun and learning is the most important part.

First of all, congratulations on your decision to pursue a degree in physics! It takes courage to start a new educational journey at any age, and I commend you for taking this step towards your passion.

It is completely normal to feel a bit overwhelmed or lost when starting a new major, especially when it involves a subject like physics that can be complex and challenging. It is great that you are aware of your weaknesses and are taking steps to improve in those areas, such as attending math labs and spending extra time in the lab. Remember that it is never too late to improve your skills and knowledge, and with dedication and hard work, you can definitely succeed in physics.

As for the different areas of study within physics, it is true that there are many subfields and specializations. However, it is also common for physicists to have a broad understanding of the subject and to work on interdisciplinary projects that involve multiple fields. So while you may choose to focus on a specific area of physics, you can still explore and learn about other areas as well.

In terms of your question about obtaining a rewarding life in a scientific field without spending a lot of time in college, it really depends on your specific goals and interests. Some careers in science may require advanced degrees and extensive education, while others may not. It would be helpful for you to research and speak with professionals in the field to get a better understanding of the requirements and options available.

Overall, my advice would be to stay focused on your goals and keep pushing yourself to learn and improve. With determination and hard work, you can achieve great things in the field of physics. Best of luck to you!

Related to Please help I want to study physics

1. What are the basic requirements for studying physics?

The basic requirements for studying physics include a strong foundation in math, particularly calculus, and a deep understanding of scientific principles and theories. It is also important to have excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as a natural curiosity and interest in the subject.

2. Is studying physics difficult?

Studying physics can be challenging, but it can also be extremely rewarding. It requires a lot of focus, determination, and hard work, but with the right mindset and study habits, anyone can succeed in physics. It is important to seek help when needed and to never give up, as understanding complex concepts in physics can take time.

3. What can I do with a degree in physics?

A degree in physics opens up a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, including research and development, engineering, teaching, and even finance. Some common career paths for physics graduates include working as a physicist, aerospace engineer, data scientist, or science writer.

4. What are some important topics in physics that I should focus on?

Some important topics in physics that you should focus on include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. These topics lay the foundation for understanding the physical world and are essential for advanced studies in physics.

5. How can I prepare for studying physics in college?

To prepare for studying physics in college, it is important to have a strong understanding of math and science fundamentals. You can also read introductory physics textbooks or take online courses to familiarize yourself with the subject. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills will help you excel in your physics studies.