Please guide me to study Physics in USA

In summary, the conversation is about a person from Myanmar who wants to study physics in the USA. They are seeking guidance on which schools to apply to and how to obtain a scholarship. They also discuss the necessary tests and exams, as well as the importance of choosing a specific area of physics to study. The conversation ends with suggestions for finding affordable textbooks and advice on how to succeed in a physics career.
Red-Emotion
Please guide me to study Physics in USA!

Dear All,

Thanks for reading this.

I'd like to request to help me in finding Physics school around USA.

Here is brief stoy about me. I live in Myanmar (Burma). I plan to study physics in USA at 2005. I will tell you how much I crazy about physics later on. Now I'm writing an essay about it and you will have a chance to read it soon.

My main interests on Physics is Cosmology and I've made up my mind to study it for the whole lifetime. I'm really crazy for it!

Now I need your help!

I would like to know which are the best schools for Physics in USA. I've searched over the Internet. But I would like to have someone who could gide me. I believe you could give me some idea.

Financial: My current financial status could not afford to join any University in USA. So, I'm going to get a scholarship. Please also kindly suggest me about this too.

Welcome to any kind of your comments and suggestions. Thank you very much.

Red-Emotion

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not from the US so I can't really help you in choosing schools. However, I have heard that you have to take several tests, including the SATs and ACTs, and also you must take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) which is a test of English proficiency.

Originally posted by recon
I'm not from the US so I can't really help you in choosing schools. However, I have heard that you have to take several tests, including the SATs and ACTs, and also you must take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) which is a test of English proficiency.

I really thank and appreciate your kind suggestions. By the way, could you tell me something about Scholarship programs. Thanks you.

How about the GRE? Graduate record examination, at what level are you planning on studying?

Ain't it funny though? Here we are making suggestions to an anonymous person who might very well be the future brightest physicist!

If we don't give him good advice, we might waste on some really insightfull discoveries.. how small things can turn out to be big

Originally posted by Monique
How about the GRE? Graduate record examination, at what level are you planning on studying?

Ain't it funny though? Here we are making suggestions to an anonymous person who might very well be the future brightest physicist!

If we don't give him good advice, we might waste on some really insightfull discoveries.. how small things can turn out to be big

Hi Monique,

If I say honestly, I've never heard anything about GRE. Thankfully welcome to anything about it.

Ok, I will tell you about my study plan. I will do my study start from Undergrad level to Graduate Degree and then Post-Grad and then Ph.D levels and even further more. I strongly believe myself I can do it. Actually, I intention is to find the "reality" of the universe not only for the academic or educational achievements. This is something what I can't resist myself not to do so.

Hahaha, thank you very much for your mind up-lifting comments. I will let you know when I become like that.:wink:

Thanks for your post reply!

Last edited:
Originally posted by recon
Thanks for your suggestions. Now I'm preparing to sit for TOEFL exam.

Red Emotion,

I have gone to school in the USA, however, since I was born here, I can't give you very good advice about how to get into the US. However, I do know a bit about how to study physics in the US when you are poor.

The hardest part for you will likely be getting your undergraduate degree. Paying for it can be very expensive, especially for someone from Myanmar. Once you get to graduate school, you can fairly easily get an assistanceship, which enables you to teach physics to undergraduates in exchange for your tuition and living expenses. Figuring out which graduate school is right for you will be easier once you have decided which part of physics you like the best. Frankly, it doesn't matter too much which undergraduate school you go to, as long as it is decent, so I would suggest finding one which will accept you and you can afford. Look into student loans. Also, try Fastweb (google for it) and see if it works for international students. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your career in physics. Physics rocks!

Oh, BTW, find out which textbooks you will need and have your relatives in Myanmar buy them there and ship them to you. It will save you much money. Also, buy cheap books on physics (I recommend Dover books) and study them on your own. Don't ~ever~ only study the stuff they teach in class - you will never be a good physicist that way.

You might want to check out Florida Institute of Technology. They are expensive, but are used to having international students. Do a search on which schools have a large proportion of international students - they will be best equipped to help you.

Originally posted by krysith
Red Emotion,

Also, try Fastweb (google for it) and see if it works for international students. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your career in physics. Physics rocks!

Thanks a lot krysith! Thank you very much for your kind suggestions. Yes, I have registered at "Fastweb"

Oh, BTW, find out which textbooks you will need and have your relatives in Myanmar buy them there and ship them to you. It will save you much money. Also, buy cheap books on physics (I recommend Dover books) and study them on your own. Don't ~ever~ only study the stuff they teach in class - you will never be a good physicist that way.

Yes, I totally believe it. Now I'm collecting and reading physics books as much as I can.

Thank you very much in deed.

Related to Please guide me to study Physics in USA

1. How do I apply to study Physics in the USA?

To apply to study Physics in the USA, you will need to research and select universities that offer the program you are interested in. Then, you will need to submit an application through their respective websites or through a centralized application portal. The application process typically involves submitting transcripts, test scores, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. It is important to carefully follow the instructions and deadlines provided by each university.

2. What are the requirements to study Physics in the USA?

The specific requirements to study Physics in the USA may vary depending on the university and program you are applying to. Generally, you will need to have a strong academic background in math and science, as well as proficiency in the English language. Most universities also require students to submit standardized test scores, such as the SAT or ACT, and some may require additional exams such as the GRE. It is best to check the specific requirements of each university you are interested in.

3. How long does it take to complete a degree in Physics in the USA?

The duration of a degree in Physics in the USA will depend on the program and level of study. A Bachelor's degree typically takes four years to complete, a Master's degree takes two years, and a PhD can take anywhere from four to six years. Some universities may offer accelerated programs or allow students to complete their degree in a shorter amount of time.

4. What are the job prospects for Physics graduates in the USA?

There are a variety of job opportunities for Physics graduates in the USA. Many go on to work in research and development, while others pursue careers in industries such as aerospace, energy, and healthcare. Some also choose to continue their education by pursuing a higher degree or teaching at the university level. The job market for Physics graduates in the USA is generally strong, with a high demand for individuals with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.

5. Are there any scholarships or financial aid options available for international students studying Physics in the USA?

Yes, there are various scholarships and financial aid options available for international students studying Physics in the USA. Many universities offer merit-based scholarships for international students, and some may also have specific scholarships for students studying in the STEM fields. Additionally, there are external scholarship opportunities offered by organizations and governments. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early on in the application process.