Please confirm Hydrogen atom question

In summary: There are three possibilities for an electron to decay to a lower energy state. -The electron can decay to the n=2 state-The electron can decay to the n=1 state-The electron can decay to the n=0 state.
pinnacleprouk

Homework Statement

Diagram not to scale:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Energy (J)

n = 3 ----------------------------------------… - 0.24x10^-16
n = 2 ----------------------------------------… - 0.54x10^-18
n = 1 ----------------------------------------… - 2.18x10^-18

In which level is the electron to be found in a normal hydrogen atom? (need help with this question)

If the electron is promoted to the second excited state, (n=3), calculate the wavelengths of the photons which may be emitted?

(Planck's constant, h - 6.6x10^-34 Js c = 3.0x10^8 ms^-1)

Any help is greatly appreciated

Homework Equations

ΔE = hf

λ = c/v

h = 6.6x10^-34

c = 3.0x10^8

The Attempt at a Solution

n = 2 = - 0.54x10^-18
n = 3 = - 0.24x10^-16
ΔE = - 2.54x10^-17

ΔE = hf = - 2.54x10^-17 = 6.6x10^-34f

f = - 2.54x10^-17/6.6x10^-34 = -3.71x10^16 Hz

λ = c/v

λ = 3.0x10^8/- 3.71x10^16

λ = - 8.09x10^-9

See I know it's wrong as I end up with a negative value

Could you please point me in the right direction and explain the steps that are wrong please

Physics news on Phys.org
First the negative sign. Photon energies are always positive. The negative sign applies to the energy change of the emitting atom. If ΔE is positive/negative the atom gains/loses the energy that is carried by the absorbed/emitted photon.

The energies that you calculated for the first three level do not look correct. If you think they are, please show exactly how you got them.

Finally, to answer this question you need to consider all the possibilities of photon emission from the second excited state; they are more than one.

Hi, thanks for the reply, the energies calculated for the first 3 energies are on the sheet given to me by the lecturer so not calculated by myself.

I assume they are not real world examples

OK then. How many possibilities of emitted photons exist?

You can safely assume than the electron is in the ground state in a normal H atom.

For your next question, figure out in how many ways an electron in n = 3 can decay to a lower energy state.

Related to Please confirm Hydrogen atom question

1. What is a Hydrogen atom?

A Hydrogen atom is the simplest and most abundant atom in the universe. It is composed of one proton in its nucleus and one electron orbiting around the nucleus.

2. How is a Hydrogen atom different from other atoms?

Hydrogen is unique because it is the only atom that does not have any neutrons in its nucleus. All other atoms have at least one neutron in their nucleus.

3. How do we confirm the existence of a Hydrogen atom?

We can confirm the existence of a Hydrogen atom through various methods, such as spectroscopy, which involves analyzing the light emitted or absorbed by the atom. This allows us to identify the unique spectral lines of Hydrogen.

4. What are the properties of a Hydrogen atom?

Some properties of a Hydrogen atom include its small size, low mass, and high reactivity. It is also highly flammable and has a wide range of uses in industries such as fuel production and chemical synthesis.

5. Why is the study of Hydrogen atoms important?

The study of Hydrogen atoms is crucial in understanding the fundamental building blocks of matter and the behavior of atoms. It also has significant applications in fields such as energy production and materials science.