Hydrogen atom emitting a photon

In summary, the wavelength of the photon emitted by a hydrogen atom transitioning from the n = 4 state to the n = 3 state is 1.83x10^-6 m, and assuming the atom was initially at rest, the recoil speed of the hydrogen atom is 0.22 m/s. This is found using the momentum of the photon, which is equal to Planck's constant divided by the wavelength, and the conservation of momentum principle.
STJ

Homework Statement

Consider the following.
(a) For a hydrogen atom making a transition from the n = 4 state to the n = 3 state, determine the wavelength of the photon created in the process. (Already solved this, 1.86x10^3 nm)

(b) Assuming that the atom was initially at rest, determine the recoil speed of the hydrogen atom when it emits this photon.

Homework Equations

λ=hc/ΔE

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done one like this previously, but we were given the energy of the photon colliding with the atom. Found the Kinetic Energy, set it equal to 1/2mv^2 and solved for v. I don't think I can do this for part b. I think this has something to do with momentum perhaps? I'm kind of lost on this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum of photon = ## \frac{h}{ \lambda} ##

Conservation of momentum says that this momentum must be in the opposite direction of the hydrogen atom.

## p = \frac{h}{\lambda} = \frac{6.63*10^{-34}}{1.83*10^{-6}} = 3.62*10^{-28} kg \cdot ms^{-1} ##

## V_{H-atom} = \frac{p}{m} = \frac{3.62*10^{-28}}{1.67*10^{-27}} = 0.22 ms^{-1} ##

Likes 1 person

1. What is a hydrogen atom?

A hydrogen atom is the simplest and most abundant element in the universe. It consists of one proton in its nucleus and one electron orbiting around the nucleus.

2. What is photon emission?

Photon emission is the process by which an atom releases energy in the form of a photon, which is a particle of electromagnetic radiation.

3. How does a hydrogen atom emit a photon?

A hydrogen atom can emit a photon when an excited electron in its outer orbit drops down to a lower energy level. This drop in energy releases a photon with a specific wavelength.

4. What is the energy of a photon emitted by a hydrogen atom?

The energy of a photon emitted by a hydrogen atom is determined by the difference in energy levels between the excited state and the lower state. This energy is directly related to the wavelength of the photon.

5. What is the significance of a hydrogen atom emitting a photon?

The emission of photons by hydrogen atoms is important in understanding the behavior and properties of light. It also has practical applications in fields such as spectroscopy and telecommunications.