Please check my work on initial value problem. thank you

In summary, the initial value problem y'' + 4y' + 3y = 0, with initial conditions y(0) = 2 and y'(0) = -1, has a solution of y = (5/2)e^-x - (1/2)e^-3x, which satisfies both the differential equation and initial conditions. As t increases, the solution function approaches 0, since both terms in the solution decay as t increases.
darryw

Homework Statement

Solve the following initial value problem. Sketch the solution and describe its behavior
as t increases.
y'' + 4y' + 3y = 0

y(0) = 2
y'(0) = -1

1st i solved the characteristic:

r^2 + 4r + 3 = 0

r = -1
r = -3

then the general solution is;

y = c_1e^-x + c_2e^-3x
also..
y' = -c_1e^-x - 3c_2e^-3x

so after i plug in the initial values i get 2 equations and 2 unknowns..

c_1 + c_2 = 2
-c_1 - 3c_2 = -1

c_1 = 5/2
c_2 = -1/2

so the solution with initial conditions (is this called "particular solution?) is:

y = (5/2)e^-x - (1/2)e^-3x

is this much correct before i describe the equations behavior? thanks alot

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
darryw said:

Homework Statement

Solve the following initial value problem. Sketch the solution and describe its behavior
as t increases.
y'' + 4y' + 3y = 0

y(0) = 2
y'(0) = -1

1st i solved the characteristic:

r^2 + 4r + 3 = 0

r = -1
r = -3

then the general solution is;

y = c_1e^-x + c_2e^-3x
also..
y' = -c_1e^-x - 3c_2e^-3x

so after i plug in the initial values i get 2 equations and 2 unknowns..

c_1 + c_2 = 2
-c_1 - 3c_2 = -1

c_1 = 5/2
c_2 = -1/2

so the solution with initial conditions (is this called "particular solution?) is:

y = (5/2)e^-x - (1/2)e^-3x

is this much correct before i describe the equations behavior? thanks alot
You've done all the hard work. Checking the solution to an initial value problem is easy in comparison. For your solution, y = (5/2)e-x - (1/2)e-3x, is it true that y(0) = 2 and y'(0) = -1? If so, then your solution satisifies the initial conditions, mean that the solution function goes through (0, 2) and its slope there is -1.

For your solution function, is it true that y'' + 4y' + 3y = 0? If so, then your solution satisifies the differential equation, and you're home free.

Related to Please check my work on initial value problem. thank you

1. What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a function or equation that satisfies a given set of initial conditions. These conditions typically include an initial value for the function and one or more derivatives of the function at that point.

2. How do I check my work on an initial value problem?

To check your work on an initial value problem, you can solve the problem using different methods such as separation of variables or substitution. Then, you can plug your solution into the original equation to see if it satisfies the initial conditions given in the problem.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving initial value problems?

Some common mistakes when solving initial value problems include forgetting to include the constant of integration, making errors in algebraic manipulations, and not checking the solution against the original equation and initial conditions.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving initial value problems?

To improve your skills in solving initial value problems, you can practice solving various types of problems and work on checking your work carefully. It can also be helpful to study different solution methods and understand when each method is most appropriate to use.

5. Are there any resources available to help with initial value problems?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with initial value problems. These include textbooks, online tutorials and videos, and even online problem-solving tools. Additionally, your teacher or a tutor can provide guidance and feedback on your work.