Please check if this circuit can act as AM generator (for lab demo)

In summary, the conversation discusses a transistor circuit with an IFT and its potential for AM generation. The user also requests guidance on the design and working of the circuit, as well as any errors that may be present. The responder suggests using a transformer to pass the wire going to +12V and applying audio to the primary. However, there are concerns about distorted frequency modulation and the output being on a frequency that most receivers do not work on. The responder also mentions the possibility of replacing a capacitor in the IFT for AM broadcast band. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the risks of amplitude-modulating an oscillator and suggests modulating the amplitude on a subsequent stage.
dexterdev
Hi PF,
I have a transistor circuit with me with IFT . Please see that if this circuit can be used for AM generation. Also please suggest the design procedure and working of circuit. Please point out any errors in the circuit. I don't know if I have to supply separate carrier signal(I assume 455KHz is the carrier signal generated from tuned IFT). I am attaching the circuit.

:)

TIA

-Devanand T

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 355
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, it could generate AM. Not very good, though.

You would just pass the wire going to +12V through the secondary of a transformer.
Apply audio to the primary of the transformer.

There are two problems.

The output will also contain frequency modulation, so it may sound distorted.

The output will be on 455 KHz and most receivers don't work on that frequency.

Inside 455 kHz IF transformers there is a capacitor which can be replaced with a smaller one to bring the resonant frequency up into the AM broadcast band.

Is this an oscillator? Oscillators should not be amplitude-modulated, or you risk to block them.

[Or if it's a neutrodyned amplifier, you should consider something less old...]

Modulate the amplitude on a subsequent stage. Better: since intermediate stages have no linear behaviour, AM is done at the very last stage normally. And for linearity, modulation is done by the supplied power, at the collector - not a the base.

Last edited:

Related to Please check if this circuit can act as AM generator (for lab demo)

1. How does this circuit work as an AM generator?

The circuit works by using an oscillator to generate a high frequency signal, which is then modulated by an audio signal. This modulated signal is then amplified and output as an AM signal.

2. What components are needed for this circuit to function as an AM generator?

The circuit requires an oscillator, a modulator, an amplifier, and an output device (such as a speaker) to function as an AM generator. Specific components may vary depending on the design of the circuit.

3. Can this circuit be used for other types of modulation?

Yes, this circuit can be used for other types of modulation, such as FM (frequency modulation) or PM (phase modulation). The specific components and circuit design may need to be adjusted for these types of modulation.

4. What is the frequency range of this AM generator?

The frequency range of this AM generator will depend on the design of the oscillator and modulator. Generally, it can cover a range of audio frequencies (20 Hz - 20 kHz) to create an AM signal.

5. Is this circuit suitable for a lab demonstration?

Yes, this circuit can be used for a lab demonstration as it provides a simple and practical example of how AM modulation works. However, it should be noted that safety precautions should be taken when working with electrical circuits in a lab setting.