Please advise me on how to study Gottfried QM

In summary, the speaker is in a graduate class where the only text used is Gottfried. The professor, who is considered a super genius, advises them to keep rereading the text if they don't understand. However, the speaker and their classmates feel like they aren't really learning quantum mechanics because the text is difficult to understand and the homework isn't helping them. They mention that Sakurai and Shankar are not comparable to Gottfried and only occasionally help with understanding the homework. They are seeking advice on how to study Gottfried and learn quantum mechanics at the same time.
TomServo
I am in a graduate class taught by a super genius who advises us to just keep rereading Gottfried (it's the sole text and all HW comes from it) if we don't understand.

Me and my classmates feel like we aren't learning QM because the text is inscrutable and the HW isn't teaching us anything.

Sakurai and Shankar don't really parallel Gottfried and are only occasionally help deciphering the HW.

Any advice on how to study Gottfried *and* simultaneously learn QM?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Related to Please advise me on how to study Gottfried QM

1. What is the best way to approach studying Gottfried QM?

The best way to approach studying Gottfried QM is to start by gaining a strong foundation in classical mechanics, linear algebra, and calculus. These concepts are important for understanding the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics. It is also recommended to read the textbook carefully, attend lectures and discussions, and actively engage in practice problems and discussions with peers.

2. Are there any specific resources or materials that would be helpful for studying Gottfried QM?

There are many resources available for studying Gottfried QM, such as textbooks, online lectures, practice problems, and study guides. It may also be helpful to join study groups or attend office hours with a professor or teaching assistant for additional support and clarification on difficult concepts.

3. How much time should I dedicate to studying Gottfried QM?

The amount of time needed to study Gottfried QM may vary for each individual. However, it is recommended to dedicate a significant amount of time each week to reviewing and practicing the material. It is also important to spread out your studying over a longer period of time rather than cramming all at once to allow for better retention of the material.

4. What are some common challenges students face when studying Gottfried QM?

Some common challenges students face when studying Gottfried QM include understanding complex mathematical concepts, visualizing abstract concepts, and applying the theories to practical problems. It is important to seek help and clarification whenever needed and to practice regularly to overcome these challenges.

5. How can I ensure that I am understanding and retaining the material while studying Gottfried QM?

To ensure understanding and retention of the material while studying Gottfried QM, it is important to actively engage with the material by taking notes, asking questions, and practicing problems. It may also be helpful to periodically review previous material to reinforce understanding. Additionally, seeking feedback from professors or peers can help identify areas that need further focus and improvement.