Plead guilty or we'll label you an enemy combatant

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the Bush admin filed charges against Padilla in order to avoid Supreme Court review of his case. The Supreme Court was to consider his confinement - held indefinitely without formal charges filed. By filing criminal charges, the Bush admin hopes to avoid Supreme Court review by claiming the point is moot - the mootness doctrine. But, she says, as they have done in the past, if they don't like the way the trial proceeds, the Bush admin can simply pull the plug, cite his enemy combatant status, and lock him away without the right to a trial.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
According to Jenny Martinez - Stanford Univ Law Professor and a member of Jose Padilla's legal team - Padilla was charged to avoid Supreme Court review of his case. The Surpreme court was to consider his confinement - held indefinitely without formal charges filed. By filing criminal charges, the Bush admin hopes to avoid Supreme Court review by claiming the point is moot - the mootness doctrine. But, she says, as they have done in the past, if they don't like the way the trial proceeds, the Bush admin can simply pull the plug, cite his enemy combatant status, and lock him away without the right to a trial.

Padilla is a US citizen.

Martinez cites other cases in which the defendant was allegedly told to plead guilty or be charged as an enemy combatant.

Can you think of anything more un-american than this?

Listen to the audio "Padilla Charged", from Nov 23rd, 2005.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/newshour_index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
- the mootness doctrine.
Lol, and I thought this option was used exclusively in parenting.
Martinez cites other cases in which the defendant was allegedly told to plead guilty or be charged as an enemy combatant.
Can you think of anything more un-american than this?
[/url]
Honestly, it sounds about as American as you can get. Perhaps you've not known any young or poor people involved with the legal system?

Having grown up in part with poor ghetto kids, I can tell you all about it. But that's another discussion...

Also, I think the mootness doctrine applies to marriage as well. Tsu and I decide how we wish to do something such as how to remodel the house. A week later, everything that I said is moot. :biggrin:

Last edited:
A chunk of marble fell from near the roof of the U.S. Supreme Court onto the stairs in the front of the building but no one was injured...

...The marble was above the inscription near the top of the building saying, "Equal Justice Under Law" and above the allegorical figure representing "Order," one of nine sculptured figures on the pediment...
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2005-11-28T164743Z_01_SIB856755_RTRUKOC_0_US-COURT-ROOF.xml&archived=False

Excuse me while I stop to contemplate the symbolism... :rolleyes:

Related to Plead guilty or we'll label you an enemy combatant

1. What does it mean to plead guilty or be labeled an enemy combatant?

Pleading guilty means admitting to committing a crime or violation. Being labeled an enemy combatant means being identified as a member of an enemy military force.

2. Is pleading guilty the same as being labeled an enemy combatant?

No, pleading guilty is a legal admission of guilt, while being labeled an enemy combatant is a designation by the government based on military status.

3. Can I be labeled an enemy combatant without pleading guilty?

Yes, the government has the authority to label individuals as enemy combatants based on their actions or affiliations, regardless of whether they have pleaded guilty.

4. What are the consequences of being labeled an enemy combatant?

The consequences can vary depending on the specific circumstances, but generally being labeled an enemy combatant can result in being detained as an enemy combatant, loss of certain rights and privileges, and potential prosecution under military law.

5. Can I challenge being labeled an enemy combatant?

Yes, individuals who have been labeled enemy combatants have the right to challenge their designation through legal processes such as habeas corpus petitions and appeals in court.

Back