Plastic Balls in a Test Tube with Mass

In summary, when the mass of the upper plastic ball is reduced by a factor of four, the distance between the two balls in equilibrium will also be reduced by a factor of four, resulting in a distance of 2d. This is because as the mass decreases, the weight decreases, leading to a decrease in the force of repulsion between the balls. To maintain equilibrium, the distance between the balls must also decrease. This can be calculated using the formula F = kq1q2/r^2 and solving for the initial and final distances of equilibrium.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

One charged plastic ball is vertically above another in a test tube as shown. The balls are in equilibrium a distance "d" apart. If the mass of the upper ball is reduced by a factor of four, the distance between the balls in the test tube would become :

1) 4d
2) 8d
3) 2d
4) square root of 2d

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

How are charge and mass related? That's what I can't understand.

Attachments

• physics.png
    physics.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 522
Physics news on Phys.org
Charge decides the repulsive force and mass decides the gravitational attractive force. In equilibrium position they are equal amid opposite.

Ok. I'm thinking along the lines of

F initial = G m1m2 / r^2

F final = G 1/4m1m2/ r^2

But I need to put those in terms of "r" and compare, right?

By changing mass of tthe plastic ball, the weight mg changes. Now compare the two weights with the force of repulsion.

Last edited:
Ok. What I just did was

Gm1m2
--------
1/4 Gm1m2

to get a 4:1 ratio. Yet I didn't use anything with "R."

When mass decreases, the weight decreases. To balance this the charges must move farther. What is the formula for the force of repulsion?

F = kq1q2/r^2 ?

Curret. Now if the initial distance for equilibrium is d for mg , what is new distance to balance mg/4?

I'm thinking:

d initial = mg
--------------
d final 1/4 mg

solving for d initial I get:

d initial = 4d final

But there's a square involved so shouldn't the answer be "2d?"

Yes.

Related to Plastic Balls in a Test Tube with Mass

1. What is the purpose of putting plastic balls in a test tube with mass?

The purpose of putting plastic balls in a test tube with mass is to conduct an experiment to study the behavior of objects with different masses in a confined space. This can help us understand concepts such as density, buoyancy, and pressure.

2. How do you measure the mass of the plastic balls in the test tube?

The mass of the plastic balls can be measured using a balance scale or a digital scale. The test tube with the balls is first weighed, and then the weight of the empty test tube is subtracted to determine the mass of the balls.

3. Do the plastic balls affect the mass of the test tube?

Yes, the plastic balls will add to the overall mass of the test tube. The combined mass of the balls and the test tube will be greater than the mass of the empty test tube.

4. How does the number of plastic balls affect the mass of the test tube?

The more plastic balls you add to the test tube, the greater the mass of the test tube will be. This is because each ball has its own mass, and adding more balls will increase the total mass of the system.

5. What other factors can affect the results of the experiment with plastic balls in a test tube with mass?

Other factors that can affect the results include the size and density of the plastic balls, the temperature of the surrounding environment, and the accuracy of the measuring equipment used.