Electrostatics Basics -- 2 plastic balls hanging on threads attract each other

In summary: B. The thread has tension which will cause an increase in the electric field. This will cause the balls to attract to each other and the tension in the thread will cause them to move.In summary, the electric field will cause the balls to move and the thread has tension which will cause the electric field to increase.
Soniteflash

Homework Statement

Two small plastic balls hang from threads of negligible mass. Each ball has a mass of
0.14 g and a charge of magnitude q. The balls are attracted to each other and the threads attached to the balls make an angle of 20.0 degree. with the vertical. The balls are 2.05 cm apart.
A. Find the magnitude of the electric fore acting on each ball
B. The tension in each of the threads
C The magnitude of the charge of the charge on the balls.
2u6jyfb.jpg

Homework Equations

11bfec934e963740d4bed02c2062a4e7.png

The Attempt at a Solution

A. Since they attract each other. there has to be an attraction force between the two charges.
I assumed that there is a force that acts against it in the horizontal direction. The cable has tension so I thought that the x-component of the force has to act against the attraction force. With that in mind I needed to find out the x-component of the tension, FT which would then equal the magnitude of the electric force.
I am not sure if my thought process is right. I am also confused on how to calculate the the x component of the tension. Would it be: ∑Fx = FTx= mg sin(20) = ma (which is zero since it doesn't move) ?

Since I couldn't figure out A, I was reluctant to continue.

Physics news on Phys.org
The horizontal component of the tension cannot incorporate g because gravity only acts vertically. The diagram suggests that you can make a right-angled triangle with the tension FT as the hypotenuse, giving you the correct expression for the horizontal component. This would not be zero as you suggest, however, since Newton's second law deals with resultant forces i.e. the F in F=ma refers to all the forces in one direction minus all the forces in the opposite direction. It's a matter of choice which direction is positive and which is negative, but usually the context can show you which arrangement is more convenient.

Your general reasoning is correct though.

Likes Soniteflash
Ah, ok. It makes sense that g is not part of the horizontal component of tension. I know that the tension would be FT = mg. To get the x-component, would I have to get FTsin(20) ?
My sentence about the force summation in the x-direction was really bad sorry bout that. What I actually meant was that since the the balls are not moving, that there is no acceleration.
So FTx - Fattraction force = ma (ma is zero i think )
FTx = Fattraction force

That is correct.
Now you can also balance the force components in the y-direction.

Likes Soniteflash

Related to Electrostatics Basics -- 2 plastic balls hanging on threads attract each other

1. How do the plastic balls attract each other?

The plastic balls attract each other due to electrostatic forces. When two objects have opposite charges, they will attract each other. In this case, one of the balls has a positive charge and the other has a negative charge, causing them to attract.

2. Why do the plastic balls need to be hanging on threads?

The plastic balls need to be hanging on threads in order to isolate them from any external influences. If they were placed on a surface, they would be affected by the charges present in the surface or any other nearby objects, making it difficult to observe the electrostatic attraction between them.

3. Can any type of plastic be used for the balls?

Yes, any type of plastic can be used for the balls as long as they can hold a charge. However, some plastics may hold a charge better than others, so it is recommended to use materials such as PVC or polystyrene.

4. How can I increase the strength of the electrostatic attraction between the balls?

The strength of the electrostatic attraction between the balls can be increased by increasing the charge on one or both of the balls. This can be done by rubbing the balls with different materials, such as wool or fur, which will transfer charge to the balls.

5. What happens if the balls have the same charge?

If the balls have the same charge, they will repel each other instead of attracting. This is because like charges repel each other. In order to see the electrostatic attraction, the balls must have opposite charges.