Plastic Bag Recycling: Costs, Disposal & Pollution

In summary, the cost of recycling plastic bags is $4,000 per ton, but they can only be sold for $32 on the commodities market. This has led to questions about the true cost and destination of plastic bag recycling. Some suggest that the money earned from charging for disposable bags should go towards recycling costs, but others doubt that it actually does. Some creative ways of reusing plastic bags include using them for dog poop and decorating hedge rows. However, concerns about the environmental impact of plastic bags, such as birds getting caught in them, have also been raised. Some argue that reusable bags are a better option, but others point out that the energy and resources required to produce and transport them should also be considered. Ultimately, the best
mgb_phys said:
Or with a stapler or sticky tape your own line of recyclable, rwady for the cat walk, evening wear.

:smile: Maybe I'll try it on the cat first. :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
TheStatutoryApe said:
This state unfortunately is not very fiscally responsable. If the tax goes through they will attempt to calculate how much they expect to make in revenue from the tax. They will then allocate those funds before they even acquire them. Citizens will eventually modify their behavior to avoid the tax and the budget will suffer a short fall. It's happened several times now, especially with taxes supposedly designed to modify citizen behavior, and the state is perpetually on the brink of bankruptcy even though it has the wealthiest economy in the country. California is the poster child for slippery slope taxation. Considering that the actual purpose of the tax is to help balance the budget, and not to help the environment, it will only create a domino chain of more problems some of which Moonie has already pointed out.

Valid point. It didn't occur to me that the bag money would be handled incompetently by the organization it goes to, to the extent that the extra income actually causes them to lose money! If that's the case, then forget about this method of taxation.

Perhaps a better solution (maybe I read it elsewhere on this thread) is for stores to offer a discount to those who use reusable bags. But that has to be a voluntary action on the part of the store's management.

As Moonie suggested, when I was a kid, my mother used to use Kraft grocery bags to drain fats from fried foods like donuts, French fries, fried clams, etc. After that, they made KILLER fire-starters in the wood stove.