Plasma Physics Experimentation Platform

In summary, Forrest is looking for guidance on hardware that would be well-suited for conducting experiments on high-frequency magnetized plasmas. He wants hardware that will allow him to precisely control and measure voltage, current, frequency, and EMF, as well as potentially temperature and density. Rodger suggests doing research on various websites and books, including Lyman Spitzer's "Physics of Fully Ionized Gasses" and MIT's intro to plasma physics course. He also mentions the option of looking into amateur plasma physics, such as building a gas discharge setup, but warns about the expenses and difficulty involved with creating a vacuum system.
tree6014
Hello everyone,

I have a degree in Computer Science/Engineering and have more recently been studying Physics. I've been really interested in the possibility of creating plasma in such an ordered state that virtual positrons begin to affect electrons non-chaotically and accelerate the electrons. I am currently trying to get a good starting point for moving into experimentation. I specifically want to work with high-frequency magnetized plasmas. What I would appreciate guidance on is what hardware would be well-suited for the task. Hardware that will allow me to precisely control and measure voltage, current, frequency, and EMF (and perhaps temperature and density) through a range that will allow me to do a great amount of experimentation with this type of plasma while having decent surge protection in the event of non-linear plasma effects.

Thanks,
Forrest

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Forrest,

Good evening (at least that is true here in Florida :) ). I too am looking at starting some basic research into plasma physics. Because of time constraints so far all I've done is research. There are a bunch of sites out there that can get you started. A LOT of it is just silly stuff, but there are really good sites also.

I really depends on exactly what you want to do and what level of physics you are looking to achieve. You can look at what the hobby level folks are doing. Or you can start looking research level efforts.

I started with Lyman Spitzer's book "Physics of Fully Ionized Gasses" (mostly be cause I already owned it), but there are sites like MIT's http://silas.psfc.mit.edu/introplasma/ Both are rather intense on the mathematics and theory.

You can look up "fusor" (amateur plasma physics) to find really interesting how-tos and good information on vacuum techniques. For example: http://www.fusionenergyleague.org/index.php/blog/article/overview_of_polywells_fusors_and_amateur_fusion

So, it really depends on just what you are seeking to do, how much money you have available and the level of effort you are willing to put into your project. A simple gas discharge setup is probably good for checking things out (and is fairly cheap if you are self-funded). If you are good a building things you can easily get design a setup for a several thousand dollars in which you need to start considering radiation issues. Not the least of the expenses and difficulty, by the way, will be your vacuum system!

Hope that helps,

Rodger

Related to Plasma Physics Experimentation Platform

1. What is a Plasma Physics Experimentation Platform?

A Plasma Physics Experimentation Platform is a specialized laboratory setup used for conducting experiments related to plasma physics. It typically consists of various instruments, tools, and equipment necessary for creating, manipulating, and studying plasma, a state of matter consisting of ionized gas.

2. What are the benefits of using a Plasma Physics Experimentation Platform?

There are several benefits of using a Plasma Physics Experimentation Platform, including the ability to study and understand the behavior of plasma in a controlled environment, the potential for developing new technologies and applications related to plasma, and the opportunity to advance scientific knowledge in the field of plasma physics.

3. What kind of experiments can be conducted on a Plasma Physics Experimentation Platform?

A wide range of experiments can be conducted on a Plasma Physics Experimentation Platform, including studies on plasma dynamics, plasma waves, plasma instabilities, plasma heating and confinement, and plasma interactions with magnetic and electric fields. These experiments can also include applications in fusion energy research, space physics, and materials science.

4. How is a Plasma Physics Experimentation Platform different from a regular physics laboratory?

A Plasma Physics Experimentation Platform is specifically designed for experiments related to plasma physics, while a regular physics laboratory may cover a broader range of topics. Additionally, a Plasma Physics Experimentation Platform may require specialized instruments and techniques that are not commonly used in a regular physics laboratory.

5. What are the safety considerations when working with a Plasma Physics Experimentation Platform?

Working with plasma can be hazardous, so safety is a critical consideration when using a Plasma Physics Experimentation Platform. Proper training, protective gear, and safety protocols must be followed to prevent accidents or injuries. Additionally, the plasma may emit harmful radiation, so precautions must be taken to shield researchers and equipment from these emissions.