Planning on transferring schools, which classes to take for prep?

In summary, the speaker is planning to transfer to a new EE program and is seeking input on which courses to take for next semester. They are certain about taking Physics 2 and Calc 3, but are unsure about other courses due to transfer limitations. They are considering taking Linear and Diff Eq as preparation for the tougher school, but are also considering taking Digital Logic, which they know will transfer. They have consulted with someone from the transferring school and are currently listed as a senior, but consider themselves a junior due to the remaining core courses and MSEE program.
USN2ENG
Hi all,
I have really enjoyed this forum and I appreciate all the interaction. I am planning to transfer to a different EE program (Great reputation, and a lot closer) and I am trying to plan my courses for next semester. Just wanted to see if anyone had any input.
I am definitely taking:
Physics 2
Calc 3

But I am not sure about the others as not everything transfers (which I am not sure why).
I could take digital logic and be done with it OR I could take Linear and Diff Eq.

Linear and Diff Eq are not stand alone courses where I want to transfer (Diff is taught within Linear systems) but I was wondering if they would be good prep, since things might be a little tougher there?

Digital logic would transfer but I just don't want to take the easy way out and then be unprepared...probably over thinking it but thought I would put it out there. Thanks for any input you guys have!
Chuck

Physics news on Phys.org
Speak with someone from the school you're transferring to and ask them which courses would transfer and which wouldn't. By the way what year are you currently at?

Oh, I did. Digital Logic transfers, but the other two don't (because they are not taught as stand alone courses).

Thats the question, since I am going to a 'tougher' school should I take those courses to prepare or would taking digital logic be the best bet since I know it will transfer. And then just learn Diff eq when it is presented.

Im leaning toward taking Digital logic, as I am sure they will teach me everything I need since many others have presumably went through just fine too.

I have a previous degree in psychology so they have me listed as a senior. But I consider myself a junior since it will take me 4 more semesters to finish all the core courses and transfer into the MSEE program.

Related to Planning on transferring schools, which classes to take for prep?

1. What factors should I consider when choosing classes for transfer preparation?

When planning on transferring schools, it is important to consider the requirements of the transfer institution, your current academic standing, and your intended major. Make sure to review the transfer institution's course equivalency guide and consult with your academic advisor for guidance.

2. Should I prioritize taking classes in my intended major or general education requirements?

It is recommended to prioritize taking classes in your intended major, as this will show your commitment and interest in the field. However, it is also important to fulfill any general education requirements that may transfer to the new institution.

3. Are there any specific classes that are commonly required for transfer?

While requirements may vary between institutions, some common classes that are required for transfer include English composition, math, and introductory courses in your intended major. It is important to check with the transfer institution for their specific requirements.

4. Can I take classes at a community college and transfer them to a four-year university?

Yes, many four-year universities have transfer agreements with community colleges and accept credits from these institutions. However, it is important to check with both the community college and the four-year university to ensure the credits will transfer.

5. Are there any resources available to help with planning for transfer?

Yes, most universities have transfer advisors or counselors who can assist with planning for transfer and selecting appropriate classes. Additionally, the transfer institution may have resources such as transfer guides or articulation agreements to help with the process.