Planning my degree - Need some advice

• Programs
  • Thread starter Floatzel98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plans for their undergraduate course, specifically in terms of choosing math units to complete their major in physics. They mention already completing Calc 2 and planning to take Calc 3, Differential Equations, and Linear Algebra. They also mention needing to prioritize between six different units for their upcoming semester. The conversation also touches on the usefulness of certain math units in the field of physics, with the speaker mentioning that applied math and programming skills are more valuable in their line of work compared to pure math subjects.
Floatzel98
Hey guys. On semester break here at the moment and I've been trying to plan out some of my undergraduate course as a way to cure my boredom. Basically I'm stuck on deciding on certain math units I should complete.

A bit of back story first. I'm only a first year undergrad at the moment, just finished my first semester. I'm planning on majoring in physics alongside mathematics, since in my degree we need to complete two majors (or an extended major and a minor). This semester I've completed what is the equivalent of Calc 2. Next semester I'm completing Calc 3 and Differential Equations and also a unit in Linear Algebra semester 1 next year (I'm from Australia). Calc 2 & 3 and Differential Equations cover all the formal physics units pre-requisites I need and Linear Algebra is core to the maths major. I can basically choose the rest of the units to complete the major.

For second semester math units, my university only really has Complex Analysis and Advanced Ordinary Differential Equations on offer. This isn't a problem though, just thought I would mention it. Most likely I am going to take both of these units.

Now the problem is I only have 3 spots open for semester 1 units across the rest of my degree. BUT the university has an option of 6 different units to choose from. Unfortunately I can't choose all of them and I wanted some help to prioritize which units will be best to do to aid my physics major. I'll just list all of them out.

• Algebra and Number Theory - Groups in geometry, linear algebra, and number theory.
  • Real Analysis - An introduction to real analysis with a special focus on sequences of real numbers and functions.
  • Partial Differential Equations - Introduction to PDEs; first-order PDEs and characteristics.
  • Introduction to Computational Mathematics - The unit offers a practical introduction to numerical computing. It begins by introducing the computing package MATLAB which is widely used in science and engineering
  • Differential Geometry - This unit will explore the metric structure of curves and surfaces, primarily in 3-dimensional Euclidean space.
  • Fluid Dynamics - The continuum hypothesis; notion of a fluid particle; pathlines and streamlines. Eulerian and Lagrangian frameworks.

If I could I would want to take all of these units, but unfortunately I need to choose between them. I would just like some feedback and opinions about the units. Thank you for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
PDE's
Fluid Dynamics
Computational Mathematics

in all my years in physics, I have not used real analysis, or algebra and number theory. Differential Geometry comes up in relativity etc, but I have not used in in my field.

Likes Floatzel98
Thank you for the reply. Do you think applied maths helps out more with physics rather than pure maths? Does this depend what field of physics you end up going into?

yes, I find that applied math is more useful to me as a physicist. It dopes depend on your field, but remember, most people who get a graduate degree do not end up in academia, so if you decide to get a degree in an esoteric area of study, you'll be looking to change skill sets when you look for a job, skill transfer, but I find that employers that I know don't really care if you know differential geometry, for example, it doesn't come up in my line of work, we have no need for it, but a really good background in computational math and programming is really helpful.

Related to Planning my degree - Need some advice

1. How do I choose the right major for my degree?

Choosing the right major for your degree can be a daunting task. It's important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals when making this decision. You can also speak with academic advisors, do some research on different majors, and take introductory courses to help you decide.

2. How many courses should I take per semester?

The number of courses you should take per semester depends on various factors such as your workload, academic abilities, and personal commitments. It's important to find a balance that allows you to excel academically while also taking care of your well-being.

3. Can I change my major after I've already started my degree?

Yes, it is possible to change your major after you've started your degree. However, it's important to keep in mind that this may require you to take additional courses or delay your graduation. It's best to speak with an academic advisor to understand the implications of changing your major.

4. How can I create a study plan for my degree?

Creating a study plan for your degree can help you stay organized and on track. Start by mapping out your required courses and then add in any electives or areas of interest. Consider your personal schedule and commitments when creating your plan and make sure to leave room for breaks and relaxation.

5. What resources are available to help me plan my degree?

There are many resources available to help you plan your degree. Your university's academic advising office is a great place to start. You can also speak with professors, upperclassmen, and utilize online tools such as degree planning worksheets and course catalogs. Don't be afraid to reach out for help and guidance.