Planning an experiment to show resistance is proportional to length....

In summary, the task is to plan and carry out experiments to demonstrate the relationship between the length of a conductor and its resistance. The necessary equipment for this includes an amperemeter, voltmeter, electricity, ruler, and chromiumnickel. The relevant equations are U = RI and R = ρl/A. The suggested approach is to calculate the resistance for each wire using the Volt-Ampere-Ohm meter and then plot the resulting values on a graph with the wire length on the x-axis and resistance on the y-axis. The resistance should be independent of the test voltage, as long as regular voltages are used. It is recommended to test the same length of each type of wire and select the one with
Drizzy

Homework Statement

My task is to plan and carry out experiments which show that the resistance of a conductor is proportional to the conductor's length. I have access to the following equipment: http://imgur.com/a/GuqUX
Amperemeter, voltmeter, electricity, ruler som other werid things and chromiumnickel

Homework Equations

I am guessing that I need these equations:

U = RI.

R = ρ

The Attempt at a Solution

Where should I start? First off, do I have the right equations? And secondly, how long should the wires be? 30 cm, 60 cm and 90 cm? Is that good?

Physics news on Phys.org
Drizzy said:

Homework Statement

My task is to plan and carry out experiments which show that the resistance of a conductor is proportional to the conductor's length. I have access to the following equipment: http://imgur.com/a/GuqUX
Amperemeter, voltmeter, electricity, ruler som other werid things and chromiumnickel

Homework Equations

I am guessing that I need these equations:

U = RI.

R = ρ

The Attempt at a Solution

Where should I start? First off, do I have the right equations? And secondly, how long should the wires be? 30 cm, 60 cm and 90 cm? Is that good?

Your second equation is missing something. What are the units of resistance on the left hand side? What are the units of resistivity on the right hand side? So what is missing? :smile:

oops somehow it was cut off :/

R = rho l/A

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-21_23-5-0.png
    upload_2015-10-21_23-5-0.png
    251 bytes · Views: 390
I am guessing that I will have to calculate R, but should U or I be constant?

Last edited:
Do I really need the second equation? I thought maybe I could calculate R and then divide it by the length of the resistor and then make a graph or something. Which method is the best?

Drizzy said:
U = RI.
Correct.

Drizzy said:
R = rho l/A

Drizzy said:
I am guessing that I will have to calculate R, but should U och I be constant?

I'm used to writing V = I * R, rather than using U for voltage, but you can use U if that's what your textbooks use. Resistance is independent of the test voltage, as long as you use regular voltages and not some high voltage that can cause arcing.

So show us what you have so far for a lab experimental procedure... :smile:

okay then I am going to have a constant I

In reality, you only need ti use the resistance measurement scale on your Volt-Ampere-Ohm meter. When measuring resistance the meter's internal battery supplies the necessary fixed voltage and while attaching the different lengths of one of selected wires directly between the + and - poles on the meter, the meter scale will give you the resistance value for each.

Based upon what I have said and the V=I*R equation, what do you think the meter is actually measuring to give you the resistance values on its resistance scale?

To get the best resistance vs. length differentials for your measurements, I suggest you test the same length of each of the type of wire you have to find the one that has the highest resistance for that length; and then use that type of wire for your resistance vs. length testing.

You have to select the correct resistance scale on the meter for your testing and the best way to do that is to start with the highest value setting and then keep reducing it until you get a good range for your test.

I have no idea.. we have literally just started kearning about this and our teacher gave us this assignment without any bakground information. And it is due tomorrow :(

I have one qustion, some people in my class are going to use the second equation that I wrote in my first post but I Think that it is enough if I calculate R and then just have that on the y-axis and the length of the wire on the x axis. And K is going to be constant,

Related to Planning an experiment to show resistance is proportional to length....

1. How do you plan an experiment to show resistance is proportional to length?

To plan an experiment to show resistance is proportional to length, you will need to follow these steps:
1. Identify the materials needed, such as a power supply, wires, resistors, and a multimeter.
2. Determine the length of the wire you will be using and measure it accurately.
3. Set up the circuit by connecting the power supply to the wire, and then to the resistor.
4. Use the multimeter to measure the resistance of the wire at different lengths.
5. Record the measurements and plot them on a graph, with resistance on the y-axis and length on the x-axis.
6. Analyze the data and observe if there is a linear relationship between length and resistance.
7. Repeat the experiment multiple times to ensure accuracy and take an average of the results.

2. What is the purpose of conducting an experiment to show resistance is proportional to length?

The purpose of conducting this experiment is to demonstrate the relationship between the length of a wire and its resistance. It allows us to understand the concept of resistance and how it is affected by the length of the wire. This knowledge is important in various fields, such as electrical engineering, physics, and materials science.

3. How can you ensure the accuracy of the results in this experiment?

To ensure the accuracy of the results, you can take the following measures:
1. Use high-quality materials for the experiment, such as precise measuring tools and reliable equipment.
2. Repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average of the results.
3. Use appropriate units for measurements and record them correctly.
4. Check for any external factors that may affect the results, such as temperature or humidity.
5. Follow the proper procedures and techniques for setting up the circuit and taking measurements.

4. What are some potential sources of error in this experiment?

Some potential sources of error in this experiment may include:
1. Inaccurate measurements of the wire length.
2. Variations in the quality of the wire used.
3. Changes in temperature or humidity, which can affect the resistance of the wire.
4. Human error in setting up the circuit or taking measurements.
5. Faulty equipment or improper calibration of the multimeter.

5. How can the results of this experiment be applied in real-life situations?

The results of this experiment can be applied in real-life situations in various ways, such as:
1. Understanding the behavior of electrical circuits and how resistance affects them.
2. Designing and optimizing circuits for specific purposes, such as in electronics or power transmission.
3. Calculating the resistance of wires in different lengths for practical applications.
4. Predicting the behavior of materials with varying lengths in terms of their resistance.
5. Developing new materials with desired resistance properties for specific applications.