The resistance of a wire (conductor) in cylindrical form is:

In summary, the resistance of a cylindrical wire is inversely proportional to the length of the wire and directly proportional to the area of its cross section. The correct answer is D.
prishila

Homework Statement

The resistance of a wire (conductor) in cylindrical form is:
A Disproportional with the length of the wire (conductor)
B Disproportional with the square of the wire (conductor) section
C Proportional with the square of the length of the wire (conductor)
D Proportional with the length of the wire (conductor)

Homework Equations

R=constant*length/Surface of the section

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the answer is D because from the equation of the resistance, but in my book the answer is B

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that "Disproportional" is a translation of "Inversely proportional", and "section" means the cross section diameter, then both B and D seem to be correct.

gneill said:
Assuming that "Disproportional" is a translation of "Inversely proportional", and "section" means the cross section diameter, then both B and D seem to be correct.
Can you explain me why is B correct?

The cross sectional area of a cylinder is proportional to the square of the diameter: ##A = \pi \left( \frac{D}{2} \right)^2##.

So the resistance should be inversely proportional to ("disproportional" to ) the square of D.

gneill said:
The cross sectional area of a cylinder is proportional to the square of the diameter: ##A = \pi \left( \frac{D}{2} \right)^2##.

So the resistance should be inversely proportional to ("disproportional" to ) the square of D.
But it says inversely proportional to the square of section, to the A, not to the diametre.

I think it's a matter of a translation issue. I interpreted "section" to be "diameter" rather than "cross sectional area". I could be wrong in this interpretation.

If "section" means "area" then B is not correct, and only D would make sense.

Related to The resistance of a wire (conductor) in cylindrical form is:

1. What is the resistance of a wire?

The resistance of a wire is a measure of how difficult it is for electric current to flow through the wire. It is represented by the symbol "R" and is measured in ohms (Ω).

2. How is the resistance of a wire determined?

The resistance of a wire is determined by its material, length, and cross-sectional area. It follows the formula R = ρL/A, where ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length of the wire, and A is the cross-sectional area.

3. What factors affect the resistance of a wire?

The resistance of a wire is affected by its material, length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. Different materials have different resistivities, longer wires have higher resistances, thinner wires have higher resistances, and as the temperature of the wire increases, so does its resistance.

4. How does the resistance of a wire change with length?

The resistance of a wire is directly proportional to its length. This means that as the length of the wire increases, its resistance also increases. This relationship follows Ohm's Law, which states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

5. Why is the resistance of a wire important?

The resistance of a wire is important because it affects the flow of electric current through a circuit. High resistance can cause a decrease in current and can also lead to the wire heating up. This can be dangerous in certain situations, such as in household wiring. Understanding the resistance of a wire is crucial in designing and building safe and efficient electrical systems.