Planet at the center of mass of a binary star system

In summary, the conversation revolved around the possibility of a habitable planet forming at the center of mass of a binary star system. The question was whether this could be plausible in science fiction, and whether the planet could have a moon. The general consensus was that this scenario would not be possible due to the lack of stability in the Lagrangian point where the planet would be placed. The conversation also touched upon the appropriateness of the question for the science fiction forum and the importance of providing context.
John Fluharty
I can't think of an instance of this in science fiction, but then I do not have the broadest knowledge of the field, so I could have missed something obvious to everyone else. I wonder, though, could a planet form at the center of mass of a binary star system or be captured there, and could this planet be habitable if everything was positioned just right? There would be no night of course and the two stars would appear to orbit around the planet. Could this planet have a moon? My knowledge of physics is not very deep, either, so I am not really sure of what other issues being at that position would cause.

Physics news on Phys.org
The science fiction forums are for discussing existing fiction or for getting advice when writing. Your question is best suited elsewhere so I have moved it. Please review the SF&F forum rules: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/science-fiction-and-fantasy-forum-rules.680313/

With regards to your question I'm pretty sure the answer is no. The planet would be placed in a Lagrangian point but nothing would hold it there. It would naturally drift (perhaps disturbed by the orbits of other planets) before falling towards one of the stars.

Likes White_Wolf
I really don't understand why my question did not fit but I am sorry about the mistake. I was just asking because I don't want to set a story on such a world if one is not likely to exist in the real universe and I was uncertain of the answer to the question. I do have a basic understanding of what Lagrangian points are, though, and should have thought if that myself. Thanks.

Happy to help. If you had stated that you were interested in writing a story and this was part of the setting you needed help with then it would have been acceptable for the science fiction writing subforum. As it stands this wasn't clear and it seemed like you just had a question suitable to a technical forum.

Several off-topic posts and their responses have been deleted. Please stay on topic.

Related to Planet at the center of mass of a binary star system

What is a binary star system?

A binary star system is a system in which two stars orbit around a common center of mass. The stars can either be close together, with their orbits overlapping, or they can be widely separated.

What is the center of mass of a binary star system?

The center of mass of a binary star system is the point at which the two stars have equal influence in the system. It is the point around which the stars orbit and it is also the point at which the gravitational forces of the stars cancel out.

Why is the planet at the center of mass of a binary star system?

The planet is at the center of mass of a binary star system because it is the point where the gravitational forces of the two stars are balanced. This allows the planet to maintain a stable orbit around the center of mass.

What are the benefits of a planet being at the center of mass of a binary star system?

Being at the center of mass allows the planet to have a more stable orbit, as the gravitational forces of the two stars are balanced. This can also lead to a more habitable environment for the planet, as it may receive more consistent levels of energy from the two stars.

Can a planet be at the center of mass of any type of binary star system?

Yes, a planet can be at the center of mass of any type of binary star system, as long as the gravitational forces of the two stars cancel out at that point. However, this is more likely to occur in binary systems with stars of similar mass.