Plan to take 'engineering physics' next semester, how much Calculus will I need?

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is new to Physics Forums and is planning to enroll in an "Engineering Physics" course next semester, which is a calculus-based introduction to physics. They are wondering if they will be able to grasp the class with only one semester of Calculus completed, and are interested in the relationship between math and physics. The response is that as long as they understand basic concepts of derivatives and integrals from Calculus I, they should be fine. The student is currently focusing on understanding Calculus and is excited to start the physics class next semester.
mindheavy
New to Physics Forums, been browsing a while!

I'm a student trying to get into a Mechanical Engineering program, currently in Calculus I. I plan next semester to enroll in 'Engineering Physics' which, as far as I have heard, is general physics taught with Calculus instead of relying solely on Algebra/Trig. Two classes are offered, Engineering Physics I and II.

Any thoughts on this? Will I be able to grasp the whole of the class having only completed Calculus I and taking Calculus II concurrently?

Physics really peaks my interest and all this is to say, I just don't want to take the class too early, struggle some, and miss out on something having not had enough background in the language of the math involved. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
"Calculus-based" intro physics courses usually use calculus mainly to simplify certain concepts and derivations, and not much in exercises and homework. If you understand the basic concepts of derivatives and integrals from Calculus I, you'll be OK.

Thanks, I'm doing the best I know how to right now, still early in the Calculus semester. Reading from multiple books on the subject, trying to really get a good understanding of the concepts.

I'm eager to start next semester already, and see what this physics class will be like, but I should probably put it aside for now, focus on the present...

Related to Plan to take 'engineering physics' next semester, how much Calculus will I need?

1. How much Calculus is required for engineering physics?

The amount of Calculus required for engineering physics varies depending on the specific course and university. However, most engineering physics courses will cover topics such as single and multivariable calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra.

2. Do I need to have a strong background in Calculus to do well in engineering physics?

A strong foundation in Calculus is essential for success in engineering physics. Many of the concepts and problems in engineering physics heavily rely on Calculus, so it is important to have a thorough understanding of the subject.

3. Can I take engineering physics without taking Calculus?

It is highly recommended to have a strong background in Calculus before taking engineering physics. However, some universities may offer introductory engineering physics courses that do not require Calculus as a prerequisite. It is important to check with your university for specific requirements.

4. Is it possible to take Calculus concurrently with engineering physics?

It is possible to take Calculus concurrently with engineering physics, but it may be more challenging. It is important to have a solid understanding of Calculus before taking on the additional workload of engineering physics. It is also recommended to speak with your academic advisor for guidance.

5. How can I prepare for the Calculus material in engineering physics?

There are many resources available to help prepare for the Calculus material in engineering physics. Some suggestions include reviewing your previous Calculus notes, solving practice problems, and seeking help from your professor or tutoring services. It may also be helpful to brush up on your algebra and trigonometry skills, as they are often used in Calculus and engineering physics.