Pittsfield Vermont Death Race and Ultramarathon

In summary: Yes, Chi, they are sick sadists indeed. Makes you wonder if they put themselves through it as well. A level of respect would be earned if they did.
rhody
Gold Member
Finding http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mt31BAEwto&feature=related" and moving beyond them, would you ? That is by far the sickest challenge I have ever heard of, leave it to a bunch of Yankee's from the Berkshires to dream up something like this.

Rhody... :cry: :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The wheelbarrow assembly instructions are in Chinese.

My wife has done that ultramarathon (I get to wear the shirt! Too big for her)

She tried to talk me into doing the death race, and I almost did, but my ankle was bothering me that year. Still thinking of doing it next year!

Chi Meson said:
My wife has done that ultramarathon (I get to wear the shirt! Too big for her)

She tried to talk me into doing the death race, and I almost did, but my ankle was bothering me that year. Still thinking of doing it next year!
Chi,

Which one, the Pittsfield, or the Spartan ?

Rhody...

rhody said:
Chi,

Which one, the Pittsfield, or the Spartan ?

Rhody...

She did the full Pittsfield Peaks 50 miler. I did the wimpy 10 miler and it was still the most F*ed up 10 miles ever. I have a particular talent for running downhill on trails. One day I'll bust my head open. But this race messed up the downhills with the most absurd switchbacks you've ever seen. The uphills were straight up 50 degree slopes, but the downhills had dozens of hairpin switchbacks that sucked out all the momentum. Right at the end, the last mile, you think its all over, and then another 200 foot ascension at 45+ degrees. It was the same for those finishing the 50 miles. These race directors are messed up!

We got nice welded spike trophies for finishing. They make great candlesticks.

Chi Meson said:
These race directors are messed up!
We got nice welded spike trophies for finishing. They make great candlesticks.

Yes, Chi, they are sick sadists indeed. Makes you wonder if they put themselves through it as well. A level of respect would be earned if they did.

Rhody... :wink:

Related to Pittsfield Vermont Death Race and Ultramarathon

1. What is the Pittsfield Vermont Death Race and Ultramarathon?

The Pittsfield Vermont Death Race and Ultramarathon is an extreme endurance event that takes place in the small town of Pittsfield, Vermont. It consists of a 30-mile trail run, followed by a 10-mile hike up and down a mountain, and finishing with a 5-mile sprint through a series of obstacles. It is known for its grueling challenges and has been described as one of the toughest races in the world.

2. How long has the Pittsfield Vermont Death Race and Ultramarathon been around?

The first Death Race was held in 2005, making it one of the oldest ultramarathons in the United States. It was created by Joe DeSena, the founder of the popular obstacle course race, Spartan Race. The race has evolved over the years, with new challenges added each year to make it even more difficult.

3. What makes the Pittsfield Vermont Death Race and Ultramarathon so challenging?

The Death Race and Ultramarathon is designed to push participants to their physical and mental limits. The terrain is rugged and unforgiving, with steep climbs, river crossings, and dense forests. The obstacles are also mentally challenging, requiring participants to solve puzzles and complete tasks under extreme physical exhaustion. Additionally, there is no set finish line or time limit, making it difficult for participants to know when the race will end.

4. Who can participate in the Pittsfield Vermont Death Race and Ultramarathon?

The Death Race and Ultramarathon is open to anyone over the age of 18 who is physically and mentally prepared for the challenge. Participants come from all over the world and from various backgrounds, including military personnel, endurance athletes, and adventurers. However, it is not recommended for those who are not in peak physical condition or have not undergone proper training.

5. How can I prepare for the Pittsfield Vermont Death Race and Ultramarathon?

To prepare for the Death Race and Ultramarathon, it is recommended to have a strong base of endurance training and experience with long-distance races. It is also important to train on rugged terrain and practice carrying heavy loads. Mental preparation is also key, as the race will test your willpower and determination. It is also recommended to familiarize yourself with the race rules and past challenges to get an idea of what to expect.