Piece wise smooth function

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the Euler-Lagrange equations and the optimal solution for a given function. The speaker questions why the solution of y=0 is not accepted and how to obtain the constant in the equation using the Euler approach. The expert explains that this problem is related to Calculus of Variations and that the Euler-Lagrange equations may not always give the correct solution.
baby_1
Member warned about posting without the homework template
Hello
Here is my question
Capture.110PNG.PNG

So I solved Euler DE and find
gif.gif

and when we apply the boundary condition we obtain y=0 . My teacher said that we should write it as two different function as
matrix%7D%20x%20%26%200%3Cx%3CH%5C%5C%20-x+1%20%26%20H%3Cx%3C1%20%5Cend%7Bmatrix%7D%5Cright.gif

where H is (1/2).He solved this equation with this way
gif.gif

So Here are my questions:
a) why don't we accept the y=0 as our desire function?
b)how can obtain (a) constant in my equation with Euler approach?because in multidisciplinary function we can't find a ?

Physics news on Phys.org
baby_1 said:
Hello
Here is my question
View attachment 94931
So I solved Euler DE and find
gif.gif

and when we apply the boundary condition we obtain y=0 . My teacher said that we should write it as two different function as
matrix%7D%20x%20%26%200%3Cx%3CH%5C%5C%20-x+1%20%26%20H%3Cx%3C1%20%5Cend%7Bmatrix%7D%5Cright.gif

where H is (1/2).He solved this equation with this way
gif.gif

So Here are my questions:
a) why don't we accept the y=0 as our desire function?
b)how can obtain (a) constant in my equation with Euler approach?because in multidisciplinary function we can't find a ?

What is a "multidisciplinary function"? I have never heard that term.

Anyway, is the subject matter one of Calculus of Variations, for ##J = \int_0^1 (1-y'^2)^2 dx##? If so, ##F_{y'} = -4 y'(1-y'^2) = -4 y' + 4 y'^3##, so the Euler equation gives ##F_{y} = 0 = (d/dx) F_{y'}##, or ##(3 y'^2- 1) y'' = 0##, so either ##y'' = 0## or ##y' = \pm 1/ \sqrt{3}##.

On the other hand, we can change variables to ##y'= z##, to get the problem
[tex] \min \:K(z) = \int_0^1 (1-z^2)^2 \, dx [/tex]
with no specified boundary conditions on ##z(0), z(1)##. Without using the Euler-Lagrange equation at all we see that we can make ##K(z) = 0## by taking ##z(t)^2 = 1## for all ##t##, and that gives ##x'(t) = \pm 1##, as your instructor said. Certainly that is an optimal solution, since ##K(z) \geq 0## for all PWS functions ##z(t)##, and ##K(z) = 0## is attained by the solution where ##z(t)^2 = 1 \; \forall \, t##.

The interesting thing about this problem is that the so-called necessary conditions of Euler and Lagrange give the wrong solution. In other words, the Euler-Lagrange equations fail! I suspect that the reason lies in some violation of the hypotheses that underlie the Euler-Lagrange derivation (and which are normally not stated or are ignored when solving problems).

Last edited:
Likes baby_1

Related to Piece wise smooth function

1. What is a piecewise smooth function?

A piecewise smooth function is a mathematical function that is made up of multiple smaller functions, each of which is smooth (i.e. continuous and differentiable) on its own interval. These smaller functions are "pieced" together to form the overall piecewise smooth function.

2. How do you determine whether a function is piecewise smooth?

To determine if a function is piecewise smooth, you need to check if it is continuous and differentiable on each of its intervals. If it is, then it is considered a piecewise smooth function.

3. What are the advantages of using piecewise smooth functions?

Piecewise smooth functions allow us to model more complex and realistic phenomena by combining simpler functions. They also make it easier to analyze and work with functions that have discontinuities or sharp changes in behavior.

4. Can piecewise smooth functions have more than two pieces?

Yes, piecewise smooth functions can have any number of pieces. The number of pieces is not limited to just two, although it is common to see piecewise functions with two pieces (i.e. a function changes behavior at one point).

5. How are piecewise smooth functions used in real-world applications?

Piecewise smooth functions are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science to model real-world phenomena with discontinuities or sharp changes in behavior. For example, they can be used to model the motion of an object with varying acceleration, or to analyze the behavior of an economic system with changing parameters.