Picking up necessary Classical Mechanics and E&M for GR

In summary, the speaker's professor is mentoring them in learning GR with the goal of doing research together. The speaker needs to pick up some necessary material along the way and wants to focus on Classical Mechanics and E&M. They have completed their math classes and have a strong understanding of SR and setting up differential equations. They are currently working on Tensor Analysis and the Euler-Lagrange equations, but are unsure of what to prioritize in E&M. The speaker would like to know the essential components of Classical Mechanics and E&M that are necessary to begin tackling GR. They mention the importance of the Euler-Lagrange equations, planetary orbits, Maxwell Equations, the wave equation, and developing a comfort with tensor notation and vector calculus. They also
PhotonSSBM
Insights Author
My professor is mentoring me through learning GR over the next year with the goal of doing research with me in the long term in the field. I need to pick up a few things along the way. The summer is going to be spent mostly picking up the necessary material for jumping into Carroll's book, and actually starting work in the book and whatever else my professor has me do during the last month before next semester. I want to consolidate my efforts and pick up the necessary parts of Classical Mechanics and E&M. Having already completed all my math classes besides statistics and math methods, and having a strong understanding of SR and setting up differential equations for physics problems, where should I focus my attention in both CM and E&M.Right now I'm working through a Boas' section on Tensor Analysis and trying to get used to the Euler-Lagrange equation's setups and applications from Taylor's book. I'm unsure of what to prioritize in E&M however, and my professor has said it may be overkill to get into the nitty, gritty, PDE aspects of E&M. I thought I'd ask your opinions, not because I don't trust his opinions, but because I feel it will help to get others' perspectives which I feel is a healthy way to approach research in general.

TLDR: What are the quintessential pieces of Classical Mechanics and E&M that are necessary to begin to tackle GR?

Physics news on Phys.org
What aspects of GR?

I would suggest at least...
- Euler-Lagrange equations
- planetary orbits
- Maxwell Equations (in terms of E and B in vector and [spatial-]tensor calculus notation, and in terms of the Field Tensor)
- wave equation
- develop a comfort with tensor notation
- tensor/vector calculus using rectangular, cylindrical, and spherical coordinates
- would be nice to derive the Maxwell Equations from the Euler-Lagrange equations
- develop some geometrical intuition along with the tensor notation

Likes PhotonSSBM

Related to Picking up necessary Classical Mechanics and E&M for GR

1. What is Classical Mechanics and how does it relate to General Relativity?

Classical Mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the motion of objects under the influence of forces and energy. It is the foundation for understanding the behavior of macroscopic objects, such as planets and cars. General Relativity (GR) is a theory of gravity that describes the behavior of objects on a large scale, such as galaxies and the entire universe. Classical Mechanics provides the basis for understanding the principles of motion and energy that are necessary for comprehending GR.

2. How is Classical Mechanics different from Electromagnetism (E&M)?

Classical Mechanics and E&M are both branches of physics that describe different aspects of the physical world. Classical Mechanics deals with the motion of objects and the forces that act upon them, while E&M deals with the behavior of electric and magnetic fields and their interactions with charged particles. Both theories have their own set of equations and principles, but they are often used together to explain different phenomena in the natural world.

3. What are the key concepts and equations that I should focus on when studying Classical Mechanics and E&M for GR?

Some of the key concepts and equations to focus on when studying Classical Mechanics and E&M for GR include Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy and momentum, Maxwell's equations, and the Lorentz force law. These principles and equations are essential for understanding the behavior of objects under the influence of gravity and electromagnetic forces, which are both important in General Relativity.

4. Why is it important for scientists to have a strong foundation in Classical Mechanics and E&M when studying GR?

Having a strong foundation in Classical Mechanics and E&M is crucial for understanding the fundamental principles of motion and energy that are necessary for comprehending General Relativity. Without this knowledge, it would be difficult to fully grasp the concepts and equations in GR, which can help us understand the behavior of the universe on a large scale.

5. Are there any specific resources or books that you would recommend for studying Classical Mechanics and E&M for GR?

There are many resources and books available for studying Classical Mechanics and E&M for GR. Some recommended resources include "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, and "General Relativity: An Introduction for Physicists" by M.P. Hobson, G.P. Efstathiou, and A.N. Lasenby. It is also helpful to supplement these resources with online lectures and problem sets from reputable universities.