Physics vs Engineering Physics

In summary, the physics department at McMaster University tells me that there are many research engineer positions available, and that the best place to look for them is specifically if the job does not contain the word "physics." However, if you want to work as an engineer, your prospects may be limited if your degree does not meet professional engineering requirements.
Gogsey
Hi,

I'm currently in physics at McMaster University in Canada, and I'm considering a switch to Engineering Physics. What I need is some info from other users and administrators about the 2 disciplines. Things like the distinction between them, career prospects, job information.

You see I'm generally interested in finishing at my 4 year bachelor degree, but I'm not throwing out the possibility of a masters degree. When I talk to the physics department they assure me that industrial type jobs and research engineer positions are available to students holding a bachelor degree in physics. I just can't seem to find them. I would feel a bit more secure and hopeful if There were many physics opportunities, but so far I don't see them.

This is the reason I'm considering the switch to engineering, but not necessarily engineering physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
A couple of things:
(1) I work alongside a colleague who did her degree in engineering physics two years before I finished mine in physics - from the same school.

(2) Likely the reason you can't seem to find the jobs is because you're looking for something with the word "physics" in the title. Engineers have the advantage that their employers will specifically be looking for engineers. When you look at the statistics: starting salaries, earning potential, employment rate, etc. - physicists aren't nearly as far below engineers as some would have the world believe.

Of special note however... if you really want to work as an engineer: your job prospects may be limited if your degree requirement does not meet Professional engineering requirements. You may meet to look into how an engineering physics program meets the requirements (versus a pure engineering program). As I understand it, certification is generally done by certification boards within a state (in the US) or province (in Canada).

Thanks for the reply's.

Yeah the physics department said to me that I could work as a research engineer, and that many research engineers actually possesses a bachelors degree in physics. Although I wouldn't be able to obtain professional certification.

So where is the best place to look for jobs in physics and engineering physics if the job description doesn't contain these titles? It seems engineering physics doesn't come up in the job description either.

Related to Physics vs Engineering Physics

1. What is the difference between Physics and Engineering Physics?

Physics is a branch of science that studies the fundamental laws and principles of nature, while Engineering Physics is a subfield of Physics that applies these principles to solve real-world problems and develop new technologies.

2. Is Engineering Physics more practical than Physics?

Engineering Physics is more focused on practical applications and solving real-world problems, while Physics is more theoretical and focused on understanding the fundamental laws of nature.

3. Can someone with a degree in Physics work as an engineer?

Yes, a person with a degree in Physics can work as an engineer, but they may need additional training or experience to fully understand and apply engineering principles and techniques.

4. What career opportunities are available for someone with a degree in Engineering Physics?

Graduates with a degree in Engineering Physics can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including aerospace, energy, telecommunications, and electronics. They can also work as researchers, consultants, or educators.

5. Is Engineering Physics a good major for someone interested in both Physics and Engineering?

Yes, Engineering Physics is a great major for someone who is interested in both Physics and Engineering. It provides a strong foundation in both fields and allows for a wide range of career opportunities.