Physics research stories (your own stories)

In summary, I have changed my subject, gone to a different university, and picked a research topic that I am very interested in.
ohannuks
There are a lot of Q&A about research in physics here. I'd like to know more about examples of your own career path. Did you change your subject, how did it work out? Did you do work mostly independently, and if so, when did you start? How did you pick your school?

I'm a 23 years old physics master student. I went to a university which offered theoretical physics, graduated as a bachelor, went on an exchange and ended up studying for a Master's degree in China. I get to choose my own research topic, of which I am very glad about, and now I'm wondering about where to go after I complete my studies here.

Physics news on Phys.org
ohannuks said:
There are a lot of Q&A about research in physics here. I'd like to know more about examples of your own career path. Did you change your subject, how did it work out? Did you do work mostly independently, and if so, when did you start? How did you pick your school?

My career has mostly been happy accidents- I went into undergraduate studies interested in high energy theory stuff (which was fashionable at the time), but senior year I took a course on lasers and changed my mind- among other things, I realized that I liked working in a lab rather than on a computer. I looked for graduate programs emphasizing optics, and went to one. Two years later, when 'matching' for a PhD advisor, I ended up in a multidisciplinary group studying fluid flow, primarily in microgravity conditions, and my dissertation was about 50/50 optics and fluids. I would characterize my formal schooling period as developing deep expertise in one or two specific topics while maintaining a fairly broad outlook, being ready when an opportunity presents itself.

After my PhD, I got a job (military contractor, then NASA contractor) where I was able to use both fluids and optics background to lead technical groups in a laboratory setting, but wasn't doing "real" research. I started looking for ways to get back into academic research, and ended up with a NIH training grant and a postdoc position in a medical school (Physiology department). Fast forward to now, I'm a tenured member of a Physics department, continuing the research I started with the training grant. I still have active relationships with my previous colleagues- I just finished reviewing a set of experiments that are going to fly using the equipment I (and many others) built at NASA. Much of the instrumentation I use now, I either learned to use or built during my 'past lives'.

So I would say it's worked out pretty great- I've flown on the 'vomit comet' a bunch of times, played with fancy military bang-bangs, and now I am poking cells with laser tweezers. As for advice, I tell students to have both a short-term (1-3 years) and long-term (10-15 years) career plan- there are many paths to independence. You can't predict where the jobs will be in 10 years, but you can position yourself to take advantage of opportunities as they appear.

Likes Ben Espen

Related to Physics research stories (your own stories)

1. What inspired you to pursue research in physics?

I have always been fascinated by the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe. As a child, I would spend hours tinkering with simple machines and trying to understand how they worked. This curiosity and passion for understanding the world around me led me to study physics and eventually pursue research in the field.

2. What has been your most groundbreaking discovery in your physics research?

I have had the opportunity to work on several exciting projects, but I would say my most groundbreaking discovery was when my team and I were able to demonstrate the existence of gravitational waves, which are ripples in the fabric of spacetime. This discovery confirmed a major prediction of Einstein's theory of general relativity and opened up a whole new field of research in astrophysics.

3. What challenges have you faced in your physics research?

Physics research can be quite challenging, and I have faced my fair share of obstacles. One of the most significant challenges is designing experiments and collecting data that can accurately test our theories and hypotheses. This often requires innovative thinking and persistence to overcome technical difficulties. Additionally, securing funding and resources for research can also be a major hurdle.

4. How has your physics research impacted society?

Physics research has had a significant impact on society in many ways. For example, the development of semiconductors and transistors, which are based on the principles of quantum mechanics, has revolutionized the field of electronics and led to the creation of computers and other modern technologies. Additionally, our understanding of the universe and its origins has also been greatly shaped by physics research, leading to advancements in space exploration and technology.

5. What advice do you have for aspiring physicists and researchers?

My advice for aspiring physicists and researchers is to never stop asking questions and to always be curious. Be open to learning from others and collaborating with different disciplines, as many breakthroughs in physics have come from interdisciplinary research. Also, don't be afraid to fail and keep pushing through challenges, as this is all part of the scientific process. And most importantly, never lose your passion for discovering and understanding the world through the lens of physics.