Physics Quotes: Mind-Bending Ideas from Famous Physicists

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of physics and filmmaking. The participants shared various quotes from well-known physicists that convey the mind-bending nature of physics. Some notable quotes mentioned were from Einstein, Richard Dawkins, Eddington, Feynman, and Douglas Adams. The conversation also touched on the importance of verifying the source of quotes and the challenges of studying physics. One participant also shared a quote from Carl Sagan about the complexity of the universe.
Brad12d3
I am a Physics Nerd and a filmmaker. I have a short film that takes a look at how strange physics can be especially under certain conditions. Wanted to open up with a quote from a well known Physicist that conveys how mind bending physics can be. Doesn't need to be anything too long. Don't suppose any of you can think of anything off the top of your head?

Physics news on Phys.org
What about Einstein's "The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible."?

"The universe is so remarkable, you'd never think it was possible if you hadn't witnessed it first-hand."

I really like Richard Dawkins': "There's real poetry in the real world. Science is the poetry of reality."

Variously attributed to Eddington and to Haldane:
Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

Attributed to Feynman:
If you think you understand quantum mechanics, then you don't understand quantum mechanics.

this is sort of Einstein's lemma to Occam's razor:

"Things should be described as simple as possible, but no simpler."

an Einstein quote i use in my email sig:

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

I have always been partial to Eddington's comment about Lie Algebra:

"We need a super-mathematics in which the operations are as unknown as the quantities they operate on, and a super-mathematician who does not know what he is doing when he performs these operations. Such a super-mathematics is the Theory of Groups."

Not an inspirational quote, but it is physics related (and one of my favourites, so I look for excuses to share it): During the rise of anti-semitism (and "Jewish physics") in Germany, Einstein used to joke during his lectures that his theory of special relativity was "...translated from the original Hebrew". Somehow, knowing Einstein made that joke makes me admire him more.

"Nature uses only the longest threads to weave her patterns, so that each small piece of her fabric reveals the organization of the entire tapestry." - Richard Feynman

You could also opt for a more humoristic/fictional quote, for example by Douglas Adams:

"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

Brad12d3 said:
I am a Physics Nerd and a filmmaker. I have a short film that takes a look at how strange physics can be especially under certain conditions. Wanted to open up with a quote from a well known Physicist that conveys how mind bending physics can be. Doesn't need to be anything too long. Don't suppose any of you can think of anything off the top of your head?

Whatever you end up using make sure you can absolutely verify the person it's attributed to actually said or wrote it. Because, as Abraham Lincoln said:

"You can't always trust what you read on the internet."

In physics, you don't have to go around making trouble for yourself - nature does
it for you. Frank Wilczek

I have two, one is simple, beautiful and deep from Einstein. It says something like this:
"Nature is the simplest conceivable mathematical idea"
The second is what I regard as the postulate that makes theoretical physics possible. It is from a cosmologist called Heller:
"If some unverifiable assumptions are true, then the conclusions derived from them are also true" Heller, Acta Cosmologica, 14, 57-72 (1986).

"The true logic of this world is the calculus of probabilities." - James Clerk Maxwell

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."
-Carl Sagan​

Dammit, E&M is really hard!

--lisab

Shut up and calculate.

Related to Physics Quotes: Mind-Bending Ideas from Famous Physicists

1. What is the purpose of "Physics Quotes"?

The purpose of "Physics Quotes" is to showcase some of the most thought-provoking and mind-bending ideas from famous physicists throughout history. These quotes provide insight into the world of physics and challenge our understanding of the universe.

2. Who are some of the famous physicists featured in "Physics Quotes"?

Some of the famous physicists featured in "Physics Quotes" include Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking, Richard Feynman, Marie Curie, and Isaac Newton, among others. These individuals have made significant contributions to our understanding of physics and their quotes continue to inspire and fascinate us.

3. Can non-scientists understand and appreciate "Physics Quotes"?

Yes, "Physics Quotes" is designed to appeal to a wide audience, including non-scientists. The quotes are written in a way that is accessible and thought-provoking for anyone interested in learning more about the world of physics.

4. How can "Physics Quotes" benefit scientists and students?

"Physics Quotes" can benefit scientists and students by providing new perspectives and ideas to consider in their research and studies. These quotes can also serve as inspiration and motivation for those pursuing a career in physics.

5. Is there a central theme or message in "Physics Quotes"?

There is no one central theme or message in "Physics Quotes," as the quotes come from a diverse group of physicists with different areas of expertise. However, a common thread among many of the quotes is the idea of pushing the boundaries of our understanding and challenging conventional thinking in the field of physics.