Physics question from my test, having a hard time solving it (Lorentz Force)

In summary: Do you see that?In summary, the question involves finding the path of a charged particle with specific charge and mass as it exits a magnetic field and travels to a wall. The equations F=qvBsin(theta) and W=F*d=Enet are suggested for solving the problem, but the angle of the second deflection and the use of kinematics are unclear. After further discussion, it is determined that the path of the particle after leaving the field is perpendicular to the radius of the arc and a straight line tangent to the curve of the particle's path within the field.
SevenSeeds5

Homework Statement

http://www.solutioninn.com/physics/...ith-charge-2.15uc-and-mass-3.20-x-10-11-kg-is

I am just going to link this because I don't know how to draw a nice diagram like that and put it here. But essentially that is the question. More specifically I have problems with part d)

Homework Equations

F qvBsin(theta)
W= Fd = EkE (I used this to solve the question but I got it wrong.)

The Attempt at a Solution

Some answers suggest to use trigonometry to find the second deflection. However, how can we know that the angle of the second deflection is same as the angle of the arc?
I figure we need to do something with kinematics but I can't seem to figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
SevenSeeds5 said:

Homework Statement

http://www.solutioninn.com/physics/...ith-charge-2.15uc-and-mass-3.20-x-10-11-kg-is

I am just going to link this because I don't know how to draw a nice diagram like that and put it here. But essentially that is the question. More specifically I have problems with part d)

Homework Equations

F qvBsin(theta)
W= Fd = EkE (I used this to solve the question but I got it wrong.)

The Attempt at a Solution

Some answers suggest to use trigonometry to find the second deflection. However, how can we know that the angle of the second deflection is same as the angle of the arc?
I figure we need to do something with kinematics but I can't seem to figure it out.

Can you please show us your work on this, so we can look for errors? Thanks. :-)

F = qvBsin(theta)
F = (2.15 x 10-6)(1.45 x 105)(0.42T)
F = 0.13N [Towards the centre]

W = F*d = Enet
(0.13N)(x) = 1/2mv2
(0.13N)(x) = 1/2(3.2 x 10-11)(1.45 x 105)2
x = 2.59m

I am 99% sure that I cannot use force since the force on the particle disappears after it leaves the field.
I reckon that I need to do something with kinematics (find time it took for a particle to travel on y- direction) use that and a projectile motion equation?

SevenSeeds5 said:
F = qvBsin(theta)
F = (2.15 x 10-6)(1.45 x 105)(0.42T)
F = 0.13N [Towards the centre]

W = F*d = Enet
(0.13N)(x) = 1/2mv2
(0.13N)(x) = 1/2(3.2 x 10-11)(1.45 x 105)2
x = 2.59m

I am 99% sure that I cannot use force since the force on the particle disappears after it leaves the field.
I reckon that I need to do something with kinematics (find time it took for a particle to travel on y- direction) use that and a projectile motion equation?
Computing work W makes no sense.
Once outside the B field the force is zero, so the particle will continue in a straight line to the wall, or so Mr. Newton posited. Since you computed Δx1 alrerady, calculating Δx is a a piece of cake.

I realized this morning that the path of a particle after it leaves a field is actually a tangent of the arc, which means the angle is 90 degrees! I think I know how to solve this question now thanks :)

[QUOTE="SevenSeeds5, post: 4983557, member: 520137
" ... the angle is 90 degrees! [/QUOTE]
?
Does any angle LOOK like 90 deg. on your figure?

I mean, that's just a diagram... but isn't the pathway of the particle after it has left the field perpendicular to the radius of the arc?
If this is not true, I don't know how to solve this.

If by "radius" you mean the line from the center of curvature to where the B field ends, that is correct.

The path of the particle from that point on until it hits the wall is a straight line tangent to the curve the particle described within the B field at the point where the particle exited the field.

Related to Physics question from my test, having a hard time solving it (Lorentz Force)

1. What is the Lorentz Force?

The Lorentz Force is a fundamental concept in Physics that describes the force exerted on a charged particle when it moves through an electric and magnetic field.

2. How is the Lorentz Force calculated?

The Lorentz Force is calculated using the following formula: F = q(E + v x B), where q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

3. What is the direction of the Lorentz Force?

The direction of the Lorentz Force is always perpendicular to both the electric and magnetic field, and also perpendicular to the direction of motion of the charged particle.

4. How does the Lorentz Force affect the motion of a charged particle?

The Lorentz Force causes a charged particle to change its direction of motion, resulting in a circular or helical path. The strength of the force also determines the radius of the particle's path.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Lorentz Force?

The Lorentz Force is used in many technologies, such as particle accelerators, MRI machines, and electric motors. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of charged particles in space, such as in the Earth's magnetic field or in the Sun's corona.