Physics Q: Which has Less Friction - Cone, Wedge, or Sphere?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of time dilation and the possibility of breaking the speed of light to stop or slow down time. It is clarified that this concept comes from Einstein's theory of Special Relativity and not Newton's. It is also mentioned that it is not possible to exceed the speed of light and that the listed shapes are not optimal in terms of drag. The conversation also touches on the relativity of time and the need for further research on the topic.
timekeeper0
Well hi. I am in 7th grade and I am learning physics. Me and my friend saw a vid on 1 of Newton's theroys. It was "time goes slower while moving faster", if i recalled right. and me and my friend wanted to go past the speed of light to break the time barrier and make time stop from Newton's work and theroy. So I am stuck on 1 question which has less friction a cone, a wedge, or a sphere? and i need to know of a matirial that can stand extreme temps. thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, that is actually from Einstein's theory of Special Relativity, not Newton's. Second, you cannot exceed the speed of light, and actually, you couldn't even come remotely close to it with any normal technology. Even if you had sufficient energy to get close to the speed of light, it can never be exceeded - this is one of the consequences of relativity. It would require infinite energy to even reach the speed of light, in fact. As far as drag is concerned, the drag of shapes is velocity dependent, although none of the listed shapes are exactly optimal.

so we can't break the speed of light so is it possible 2 break the speed of time and srry i forgot it was Einstein who did that

Last edited:
There's no such thing as 'the speed of time'. Time is something that aids us in determining speed. Time dilation does indeed occur with increasing speed, but remember that it has to be relative to something else. Two clocks traveling together at whatever speed will agree, while one in a different reference frame will notice a change of pace.

edit: So why won't the dictionary link let me capitalize 'time' in my third sentence?

i need to plan more things out and reaserch a lot more

anyways i didnt know there was no such thing as speed of time what i was referring 2 is that the speed of which things are moving slows down so much it will stop or at least slow down so much u can barley notice it.

Related to Physics Q: Which has Less Friction - Cone, Wedge, or Sphere?

1. Which of these shapes has the least amount of friction?

The sphere has the least amount of friction. This is because a sphere has a smooth, curved surface, which allows it to roll easily without much resistance.

2. Does the weight of the object affect its friction?

Yes, the weight of an object can affect its friction. Heavier objects tend to have more friction because they exert more force on the surface they are moving on, creating more resistance.

3. How does the shape of an object affect its friction?

The shape of an object can greatly affect its friction. Objects with irregular shapes, such as a cone or wedge, tend to have more friction because they have more surface area in contact with the surface they are moving on. On the other hand, objects with smooth, curved surfaces, like a sphere, have less friction because they have less surface area in contact with the surface they are moving on.

4. Can friction be completely eliminated?

No, friction cannot be completely eliminated. It is a natural force that occurs when two surfaces rub against each other. However, it can be reduced by using lubricants or by choosing materials that have less resistance to motion.

5. How does the surface material affect friction?

The surface material can greatly affect friction. Smooth surfaces, such as ice or glass, have less friction because they have less resistance to motion. Rough surfaces, like sandpaper or concrete, have more friction because they have more resistance to motion due to their uneven surfaces.