Physics Puzzler: Solving a Grade 12 Cliff Pushing Problem

• Thread starter paigegail
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a 10.8 kg box is pushed over the edge of a 12.96 m high cliff by Bob. The box lands 7.5 m from the base of the cliff and the force of friction is 49.0 N. To find out how much force Bob applied, work backwards by calculating the box's speed and net acceleration. From this, subtract the force of friction to find the net force and thus the force applied by Bob. If you are still having trouble, make sure to check your work for errors.
paigegail
Physics puzzler! Need serious help!

HELP! I am in grade 12 physics and my teacher gave us a puzzler for the weekend. I need serious help with it and all of my classmates can't figure it out either! The question is :

A 10.8 kg box is 5.0 m from the edge of a 12.96 m high cliff. Bob pushes the box over the edge of the cliff by applying a constant horizontal force to it until the box goes over the edge. The force of friction on the box is 49.0 N and the box lands 7.5 m from the base of the cliff. How much force did Bob apply to the box while he was pushing?

Please help me if you can. How do I go about even starting the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org

Work backwards. From how far away the box landed, you can find out what speed it had as it was leaving the cliff. From that speed and the distance it was pushed, you can find the net acceleration (and thus net force). From the net force and the force of friction, you can find Bob's force.

MORE HELP

I did what the first post said to do and I still can't get it. I end up with Fnet= 117.504 N. What the hell am I supposed to do? I've spent hours on this problem and it's driving me crazy!

Obviously, you made some kind of error, but we can't determine what it is unless you show your work.

Related to Physics Puzzler: Solving a Grade 12 Cliff Pushing Problem

1. What is a physics puzzler?

A physics puzzler is a type of puzzle game that involves using the principles of physics, such as gravity and motion, to solve challenges and progress through the game.

2. What kind of help is needed for a physics puzzler?

The type of help needed for a physics puzzler can vary depending on the specific game and challenge. Generally, players may need assistance with understanding the physics principles involved, finding the right strategy to solve a level, or figuring out the correct timing or sequence of actions.

3. How can I improve my skills in solving physics puzzles?

The best way to improve your skills in solving physics puzzles is through practice and experimentation. Pay attention to the different physics principles at play and try different approaches to see what works best. You can also look for tips and strategies online or try playing similar puzzle games to gain more experience.

4. Are there any specific tools or resources that can help with solving physics puzzles?

There are various tools and resources available to help with solving physics puzzles, such as online guides, walkthroughs, and even in-game hints or tutorials. You can also use tools like calculators or physics simulators to better understand the principles involved.

5. Are there any real-world applications of physics puzzlers?

Yes, there are real-world applications of physics puzzlers. Some examples include designing and testing structures or machines, understanding and predicting the behavior of systems, and developing problem-solving skills that can be applied in various fields, such as engineering and physics research.