Solving Two Body Problems - The Physics Classroom

• Thread starter RiskX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body
In summary, the conversation involved a person seeking help with solving a two body problem involving a 5.0-kg and a 10.0-kg box. They were able to find the acceleration of the boxes, but were unsure how to determine the force acting between them. The example provided involved calculating the net force on the 10.0-kg box, but the person was wondering how to determine the force using just the 5.0-kg box.
RiskX
Hi,

I'm currently learning how to solve two body problems and I'm having a little trouble with that. My question regards a certain example I found in The Physics Classroom website that goes like this:

"A 5.0-kg and a 10.0-kg box are touching each other. A 45.0-N horizontal force is applied to the 5.0-kg box in order to accelerate both boxes across the floor. Ignore friction forces and determine the acceleration of the boxes and the force acting between the boxes."

I managed to find out the acceleration(3 m/s/s) but I don't understand how to find the force acting between the boxes. In the solution of this example they took the 10 kg boy and just calculated it's net force(30 N) and I undertood that but if I to calculate the net force acting on the 5 kg(15 N) body I'll get a different result entirly.

How can I determine the force acting between the boxes using the 5 kg box alone.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
See the attached,

I'm sorry but I bealive you forgot the attachment...

Right, sorry %^) And I normally preview stuff.

Attachments

• block055.jpg
    block055.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 465

I would like to first clarify that solving two body problems involves applying Newton's laws of motion and using mathematical equations to determine the motion of two interacting objects. In this case, the example you provided involves finding the acceleration and force acting between two boxes.

To find the force acting between the boxes, we need to consider the concept of action-reaction pairs. According to Newton's third law, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this case, when the 45.0-N horizontal force is applied to the 5.0-kg box, the 5.0-kg box exerts an equal and opposite force on the 10.0-kg box. This force is the force acting between the boxes.

To calculate this force, we can use the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. In this case, the mass of the 5.0-kg box is 5.0 kg, and the acceleration is 3 m/s/s. Therefore, the force acting between the boxes is 5.0 kg x 3 m/s/s = 15 N.

The solution provided on The Physics Classroom website may have calculated the net force on the 10.0-kg box because it is easier to visualize and understand. However, both approaches should lead to the same result, as long as Newton's laws of motion are applied correctly.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify your understanding of how to determine the force acting between two boxes in a two body problem. Keep practicing and applying these concepts, and you will become more proficient in solving these types of problems.

Related to Solving Two Body Problems - The Physics Classroom

1. What is a two body problem in physics?

A two body problem in physics refers to a scenario where the motion of two objects, such as planets or stars, is influenced by their mutual gravitational attraction. This creates a complex system where the two objects are constantly affecting each other's motion, making it difficult to predict their trajectories.

2. How do you solve a two body problem in physics?

Solving a two body problem involves using mathematical equations, such as Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation, to calculate the positions and velocities of the two objects at different points in time. Advanced techniques, such as numerical integration, are often used to solve these complex equations.

3. What are some real-life examples of two body problems?

Some real-life examples of two body problems include the motion of planets in our solar system, the orbit of a satellite around Earth, and the interaction between a moon and its host planet. These scenarios involve two objects with mass that are influenced by their mutual gravitational forces.

4. What are the challenges in solving two body problems?

One of the main challenges in solving two body problems is the complexity of the equations involved. The motion of two objects can be affected by many factors, such as their masses, distances, and velocities, making it difficult to accurately predict their trajectories. Additionally, the equations may need to be solved numerically, which can be time-consuming and computationally intensive.

5. How do two body problems relate to the study of celestial mechanics?

The study of celestial mechanics involves understanding the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets, stars, and galaxies. Since these objects are often influenced by their mutual gravitational forces, the study of two body problems is crucial in understanding their motion and predicting future behavior. Two body problems also provide a foundation for studying more complex systems, such as three or more body problems.