Physics Practical: Rebound height of a table-tennis ball

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of set squares in determining the rebound height in an experiment. The mark scheme states that set squares should be used to indicate height, but there is confusion about how it aids in measuring the rebound height. The conversation also mentions using a ruler instead of set squares and questions why set squares are necessary. It is suggested that the theory of non-fully elastic collisions and Newton's law of restitution may be related to the experiment.
Janiceleong26

Homework Statement

image.jpg
image.jpg

For part aiii), the mark scheme states "Use of set squares to indicate height". I know what are set squares, but how does it aid to determine the rebound height, h? I thought set squares are to ensure two objects are perpendicular to one another? How does it help in measuring the rebound height, h?

Also, for part c), how to explain? Is it because both h and d have the same unit, thus cancel out, giving a constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of ways to ensure that you may measure h accurately along the ruler ...

In part c, apparently the theory has some relationship like ## h^2 = e\; d^2## (or some other power of length). What could is be related to ?

BvU said:
Think of ways to ensure that you may measure h accurately along the ruler ...

In part c, apparently the theory has some relationship like ## h^2 = e\; d^2## (or some other power of length). What could is be related to ?
image.jpg

By placing the set square like this? Why not use a ruler instead?

And I thought the theory is related by h = e^2 d? I really don't know what it is related to.. I guess it's Young's modulus?

Last edited:
That's the idea. You worry me because you let the top of the set square align with the center of the ball, whilst the h and d in the figure are measured with respect to the underside of the ball.

Young's modulus is too complicated in this experiment.
Think about the bouncing as a non fully elastic collision
At what speed does the ball hit the floor ?
How high does the ball bounce if the speed up is a fraction of that ?

Last edited:
BvU said:
That's the idea. You worry me because you let the top of the set square align with the center of the ball, whilst the h and d in the figure are measured with respect to the underside of the ball.

Young's modulus is too complicated in this experiment.
Think about the bouncing as a non fully elastic collisioncollision
At what speed does the ball hit the floor ?
How high does the ball bounce if the speed up is a fraction of that ?

Oh whoops sorry, was not conscious about it :biggrin:
But why can't we use other forms of straight edges, like a ruler instead of set squares?
I guess it's Newton's law of restitution then?

Janiceleong26 said:
Oh whoops sorry, was not conscious about it :biggrin: good. never mind.
But why can't we use other forms of straight edges, like a ruler instead of set squares? You want to make sure the top of the set square is parallel to the floor
I guess it's Newton's law of restitution then? Yes. well "guessed" :rolleyes:

Likes Janiceleong26
Please mention from which year and session is this question from...TIA

Related to Physics Practical: Rebound height of a table-tennis ball

1. How do you conduct the experiment to measure the rebound height of a table-tennis ball?

The experiment can be conducted by dropping the table-tennis ball from a certain height onto a flat surface and measuring the height to which it bounces back. This process can be repeated multiple times to calculate the average rebound height.

2. What are the materials and equipment needed for this experiment?

The materials needed include a table-tennis ball, a ruler or measuring tape, a flat surface, and a marker or tape to mark the drop height. The equipment needed includes a stopwatch or timer to accurately measure the time of the rebound.

3. How do you ensure accurate results in this experiment?

To ensure accurate results, it is important to use the same ball, surface, and drop height for each trial. The ball should also be dropped from the same position and with the same force each time. It is also important to take multiple measurements and calculate the average rebound height.

4. What factors can affect the rebound height of a table-tennis ball?

The rebound height of a table-tennis ball can be affected by factors such as the type and condition of the ball, the surface it is being bounced on, the force with which it is dropped, and air resistance. Temperature and humidity can also play a role in the rebound height.

5. How can the results of this experiment be applied in real-life situations?

The results of this experiment can be applied in real-life situations to understand the principles of elastic collisions and energy conservation. It can also be used to analyze the performance of table-tennis balls and surfaces in order to improve the game. Additionally, the rebound height can be used to determine the relative hardness or bounciness of different materials.