Physics PhD programs WITHOUT formal coursework

In summary, there are PhD programs that do not have formal coursework requirements, but you would need a Masters degree or to convince the admission offices that you have the skills a Masters degree holder would have.
the_kid
Hi all,

I'm wondering if there are any PhD programs in the US (or abroad, for that matter) that do not have formal coursework requirements. That is, suppose someone took a standard graduate load while in undergrad and was prepared for quals right away: are there any programs that allow you to take quals upon entering and begin research? I'd even be interested in hearing about programs that have less course requirements. Maybe the student had a weak spot from undergrad and wants to take one or two courses but not a full load. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Rockefeller University does not really have course requirements, but they mainly focus on biophysics. They want students to begin research right away.

Most places are reasonably flexible, but...

1. The attitude "I have nothing to learn from you guys, so I don't want to take classes from you" is not likely to win you friends.

2. Universities often have a minimum classwork requirement independent of the department's. As a rule, they don't like like the idea of someone getting a degree from them without having stepped foot in a classroom. To take Rockefeller as an example, you need seven courses - and while they are non-specific about which seven, you need to take seven.

Well, in the UK no PhDs have coursework (there may be an exception, but I've not heard of them). Most PhDs are 3-3.5 years of full-time research. If there is a particular weakness you can attend undergrad lectures, but there are no exams.

Similar to what streeters pointed out, also in continental Europe PhD programs usually come without coursework. In both cases, however, you would either need a Masters degree, or at least need to convince the admission offices that you have the skills a Masters degree holder would have.

cgk said:
In both cases, however, you would either need a Masters degree, or at least need to convince the admission offices that you have the skills a Masters degree holder would have.

This isn't the case in the UK. Only 2 unis that I can think of (imperial and cambridge) ask for 4 years study, all the others only need a 3 year undergrad degree before starting PhD. They usually need at least a 2:1 and to have completed an honours thesis.

So you an go from school to doctorate in a bit over 6 years if you want.

In general there is no grad school in most universities in Europe, but this is kind of fluid. I worked in Delft university in the Netherlands, and as of this year some faculties have started grad. school for PhD students. Nothing too demanding though, the credits can be acquired comfortably during the 4 years of research. Generally a Master's degree is required for admission, but there are exceptions for noteworthy BScs (I personally know of one. This guy for instance already had a patent).

As for the UK I only really know about the Imperial college, where you indeed need a master's degree. In my case, having 2 years of work experience and some papers also helped a lot. There is no coursework that I am aware of.

However, because of the nature of academic research, I'm pretty sure there are ALWAYS exceptions for gifted people. For instance, if you finished college at 14 or 16 like some guys, no one will really care if you only have a BSc :-p

At the University of Maryland you are only required to take two courses outside your area of research. Depending on the research you are doing, you may also need to take some advanced specialized courses as well. You are not required to take any of the "core" classes (i.e. E+M, mechanics, quantum, stat mech...). The only purpose of the core classes is to prepare you for the qualifying exam and if you feel you don't need them to pass the exam then you do not need to take them.

In terms of the qualifying exam, you are allowed to take the exam your first week here before classes start if you feel you are prepared for it.

It really does depend on your demeanor, but I found that if you are in a good university some courses are worth checking out, even if you don't have to take them. A 2-hour lecture by a good professor can easily be worth 1 month of studying from a book.

streeters said:
This isn't the case in the UK. Only 2 unis that I can think of (imperial and cambridge) ask for 4 years study, all the others only need a 3 year undergrad degree before starting PhD. They usually need at least a 2:1 and to have completed an honours thesis.

So you an go from school to doctorate in a bit over 6 years if you want.

Damn, it took me 10 years from graduating high school to getting my PhD. That 4 years is a pretty big opportunity cost.

Related to Physics PhD programs WITHOUT formal coursework

1. What is a "Physics PhD program without formal coursework"?

A Physics PhD program without formal coursework is a doctoral program in Physics that does not require students to complete a set number of credit hours in traditional coursework. Instead, students focus primarily on research and independent study to complete their degree.

2. Can I still earn a PhD in Physics without taking any coursework?

Yes, you can still earn a PhD in Physics without taking any coursework. These programs typically have a more flexible curriculum, allowing students to focus on their research interests and work closely with a faculty advisor.

3. What are the benefits of a Physics PhD program without formal coursework?

One of the main benefits of this type of program is the opportunity for students to focus on their research interests and gain hands-on experience in their field. It also allows for a more personalized learning experience and the ability to work closely with faculty members.

4. Are there any prerequisites for applying to a Physics PhD program without formal coursework?

The specific prerequisites may vary depending on the program, but most will require a bachelor's or master's degree in Physics or a related field. Some programs may also require the completion of certain undergraduate courses or a strong background in mathematics and physics.

5. Will a Physics PhD program without formal coursework prepare me for a career in academia?

Yes, a Physics PhD program without formal coursework can still prepare you for a career in academia. While these programs may have a different focus than traditional PhD programs, they still provide students with the necessary skills and knowledge to pursue a career in research and teaching in the field of Physics.