Physics PhD programme in the states, what Universities to go for

In summary, the conversation discusses the writer's concerns about finding the right university for a PhD in physics, taking into consideration school rankings and the potential stress and competitiveness at high-end universities. The writer also mentions their background and asks for recommendations and advice from experienced individuals. It is mentioned that most graduate schools have a demanding workload in the first year, but the intensity may vary depending on the advisor and the university's overall atmosphere.
smckech
I would like some advise about what universities to apply to in the states for PhD programmes in physics. In particular what level of university (as defined by school rankings etc). I've been told that the high end universities can be overly stressful and that they foster a highly competitive approach to study. Can you do an enjoyable PhD in a high end University? Or are you committing to being worked to the bone. I expect that a lot will depend on the university, supervisor and project.
To give you all a bit of background, I am Irish and have a first class honors degree in Physics and have yet to do my GRE's. All recommendations are welcome from any level and I would greatly appreciate any words of wisdom from people with experience. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
At most graduate schools, the first year (or two) is pretty intense no matter where you go because you are usually taking a full load classes on top of being a TA or an RA. Once you are finished taking classes, you will still be pretty busy with research but you will not have the same workload as you did before.

As you mentioned in your post, who you want as an adviser will largely determine how hard you need to work. If your adviser is very selective about who he/she takes on as a student, then you will have to work harder to make yourself stand out.

I just started graduate school at a university ranked in the top 15 but not in the top 10 and the overall atmosphere of the department is not cutthroat competitive. I don't have the sense that I have to be better than everyone else in order to succeed in graduate school.

Hope this helps!

Related to Physics PhD programme in the states, what Universities to go for

1. What are the top universities for a Physics PhD programme in the US?

Some top universities for a Physics PhD programme in the US include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Harvard University, Stanford University, and Princeton University.

2. How long does it typically take to complete a Physics PhD programme in the US?

The average length of a Physics PhD programme in the US is typically around 5-6 years. However, this can vary depending on the research topic, individual progress, and any additional requirements or challenges.

3. What are the admission requirements for a Physics PhD programme in the US?

Most universities in the US require applicants to have a strong undergraduate background in Physics, along with GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Some universities may also require subject-specific GRE scores and/or a minimum GPA.

4. Are there any funding opportunities available for a Physics PhD programme in the US?

Many universities in the US offer funding opportunities for graduate students, such as teaching or research assistantships, fellowships, and scholarships. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early in the application process.

5. What are some key factors to consider when choosing a university for a Physics PhD programme in the US?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a university for a Physics PhD programme in the US include the research opportunities and facilities available, the reputation and ranking of the university, the faculty and their areas of expertise, the location and overall cost of living, and any funding or financial aid opportunities.