Physics or engineering for major?

In summary, the individual is currently in their third year of community college studying physics, but is concerned about job opportunities without going to grad school. They are considering transferring to a university and switching to engineering, but this may not be possible as a transfer student. It is suggested that if they do not plan on going to grad school, engineering may be a better route for job opportunities.
cfitz707
I will be starting my third year of community college next month and up until now I have been set on studying physics. I chose physics because I really like the material but I am worried that I won't be able to get a good job without going to grad school and I'm not sure if I want to stay in school for too much longer. I have also heard that getting a bachelors degree in engineering is very good in the job market. I will need to transfer to a university after this year and I want to decide which one I want to go with. Are there any jobs could I get with a bachelors degree in physics? If I transfer to a university for physics how hard would it be to switch over to engineering later on?

Physics news on Phys.org
cfitz707 said:
I will be starting my third year of community college next month and up until now I have been set on studying physics. I chose physics because I really like the material but I am worried that I won't be able to get a good job without going to grad school and I'm not sure if I want to stay in school for too much longer. I have also heard that getting a bachelors degree in engineering is very good in the job market. I will need to transfer to a university after this year and I want to decide which one I want to go with. Are there any jobs could I get with a bachelors degree in physics? If I transfer to a university for physics how hard would it be to switch over to engineering later on?

Changing majors as a transfer student is often times impossible, so I wouldn't count on that.

Can you get a job with a Bachelor in Physics, sure? Is it easier than with an engineering degree? No. If you don't plan on going to grad school, then engineering would be the better route as far as the job market is concerned.

Related to Physics or engineering for major?

What is the difference between physics and engineering?

Physics is the study of the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. Engineering, on the other hand, applies these principles to design and create practical solutions to real-world problems.

Which major is better for a career in research?

Both physics and engineering can lead to careers in research, but the focus and approach may be different. Physics research often involves theoretical and experimental work, while engineering research often involves practical applications and problem-solving.

Which major is more math-intensive?

Both physics and engineering involve a significant amount of math, but engineering may require more hands-on application of mathematical concepts in real-world scenarios. Physics may involve more theoretical and abstract mathematical concepts.

What kind of jobs can I get with a degree in physics or engineering?

With a degree in physics, you can pursue careers in research, academia, or even industries such as aerospace, energy, or technology. With a degree in engineering, you can work in various fields such as civil, mechanical, electrical, or computer engineering, depending on your specialization.

Do I need to have a strong background in math and science to major in physics or engineering?

A strong understanding of math and science is essential for success in both physics and engineering. However, with hard work and dedication, anyone can succeed in these majors, regardless of their initial background in these subjects.